When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Thursday, January 16, 2014

More is Better!

im·meas·ur·a·ble   adj.  1. Impossible to measure
 
I like more!  Everyday I want more.  More time; More vacations days; More coffee; More grandgirl smooches; More grace; More patience;  More shoes!!  More = Better!  Even the cutie pie kids on tv commercials tell us this:
 

Right now I need more.  More security.  More faith.  More confidence.  More employment!  I think about this in the wee hours of the morning when my mind wanders and I am indignant at my inability to turn off the thinking part of my brain.  The word that ever so gently comes to my mind is immeasurablyScripture promises that He is able to do immeasurably more.

As I fluff my pillow, glance at the clock, and continue to ponder this, I try to grasp the enormity of immeasurable. Trust me, I can ask and imagine and measure puh-len-tee of more-ness, and He can provide an immeasurable amount in excess of that?  A peace that I crave comes over me and I remember that I'm not alone in this. Yep- the big guy's got me covered on this one!  He can do immeasurably more...  Then I smile as I remember the pastor in the church where the boys were raised.  At the end of every service, Pastor's benediction was Ephesians 2:21-22. 
 
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. 
 
One Sunday after service, Offspring #1 asked with a furrowed brow:  So, why does Pastor always end that verse with "Forever Endeavor"?  It took me a minute to catch up and then I had to smile at the boy's interpretation of the verse he'd heard hundreds of times. 

en·deav·or   n.  1. A conscientious or concerted effort toward an end; an earnest attempt.

Now looking back, I think my son had it right.  For all that I need (not just want), He can provide immeasurably more.  Wrapping my head around the fullness of this, is my forever endeavor.  (Smiling)

 

With Faith,  ~Shugie



3 comments:

  1. I was wondering if I sound like that little girl when I am trying to get "more" of something? I've watched that commercial countless times and never once considered that's probably what I sound like. I babble on thinking I can talk God into something he has already done.

    By the way, I think the sequel should be about the seagulls in "Finding Nemo" saying "Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Amanda, Do you remember Steve's benediction? I can still hear his voice every time I read that verse!

      Delete