The Lord bless you and keep you; The Lord make His face shine upon you and be
gracious to you; The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace.
Numbers 6:24-26
January had a rough start. The hot tub motor seized; the garage door wouldn't close; my car got a flat; and I was the recipient of a $95 parking ticket. Just before my stress reached aneurism level, I went on a two week trip. Some of it was business. Some of it was beach time, Bloody Mary's and laughter with my faves. This time away gave me time to reflect, and to ask the Lord: Why? Why do the details of life feel so overwhelming at times? Why aren't you making it easier? If I'm supposed to be learning something, why am I not hearing you? Why can't you be clearer? (yes, I actually insinuated that the Creator of the Universe should improve his communication. Oy....)
Romans 5 tells us that we should rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, character, and hope. While I whine about the inconveniences I experienced, I know that level of suffering is miniscule compared to others. And, while I would like to say I have utilized my 'suffering' (ie, inconveniences) to improve my character, that would be a lie. I'm aware of the need, but still not at the point where I can REJOICE in those pain in the butt moments.
What I have decided is to find Shalom. Shalom is complete peace with any circumstance; a feeling of contentment, wholeness, well-being, and harmony. Shalom is gratefully accepting what is, instead of coveting what isn't. A lofty goal in our society of photoshopped celebs, Facebook bragging, and internet dating. Online, everyone is perfect! Reality is, God allows suffering. Our reaction to that suffering should be to find peace within the circumstance.
So, though I am one month tardy in the announcement, my 2015 WTLB (word to live by, for the newbies) is Shalom. In past years I have used bliss, grace and faith as my WTLB, and each carried a significance in my personal journey. The past year has provided rich blessings to my life. I commit to savoring them, instead of looking toward the next thing. I intend to find contentment in the suffering, knowing that nothing can separate me from the love of Christ.
Many of you text comments to my phone after reading this blog. I love hearing your thoughts! This time however, I challenge you to find your WTLB for 2015, and comment on it here for others to see. May 2015 be full, and rich, and filled with awesomenacious splendidity!
Seeking Shalom, ~Shugie
I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you
will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Gratitude
ReplyDeleteGreat post.
confidence
ReplyDelete