Every day you should investigate where and to whom your energy is going.
~Jayme Barrett
The idea of a bucket list is a good one. The point is to come up with a list of goals and experiences that you would like to accomplish in your lifetime. However, the term "bucket" is connotated with the phrase "kicking the bucket" which alludes to the belief that one is nearing the end of life. Why wait until then to make choices that make life fulfilling? My counter to "Bucket List," is "Life Goals," and my list is updated annually. What do I want to accomplish this year? What was on last year's list that I want to replicate? Or do differently?
Life Goals should include lofty dreams, with a little reality on the side. Andy Dufresne had Zihuatanejo. This video reminds me that it's never too late to start: It's time to get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...
Here, in abbreviated form, are my 2015 Life Goals:
- Read at least 10 books
- Finish and publish my book
- Learn 100 new words
- Do a bible study
- Gym at least 3x a week
- Maintain a clean, healthy diet
- Remember, "Those who do well should also do good."
- Do 3 spontaneous/memorable things
- Go on a spectacular vacation
- Love Love Love!
I keep my Life Goal
list on my phone and refer to it often. Partially to remind myself to
stay on track, and partially to enjoy remembering the things that I have
already accomplished for the year. So far, so good!
If you know me at all, you are aware of my obsession with learning. In conversation with my Sibs, I mentioned my plan to learn 100 new words this year. Sib #1 laughed and asked how I will keep track, to which I replied that I update the list with each and every new word! OCD? Probably, but how else will I remember that penultimate means second to last; or that a cathedral becomes a basilica after the pope has visited? Admittedly, I threw day drinkin' onto the list, only because I didn't realize there was actually a term for the official activity of Sib Trips! So much to learn!!
I challenge you to live with purpose and enjoy each and every accomplishment. Where is your energy going? What is your Zihuatanejo? Just the idea of it makes me all agog!! ;)
Seeking Shalom, & More Words, ~Shugie
The ordinary learn once in a while.
The extraordinary learn once every day.
Robin Sharma
To
come up with a list of goals and experiences you’d like to complete in
your lifetime. - See more at:
http://wanderlustandlipstick.com/2012/why-i-hate-the-term-bucket-list/#sthash.EpfOOCRB.dpuf
To
come up with a list of goals and experiences you’d like to complete in
your lifetime. - See more at:
http://wanderlustandlipstick.com/2012/why-i-hate-the-term-bucket-list/#sthash.EpfOOCRB.dpuf
The
idea is great. To come up with a list of goals and experiences you’d
like to complete in your lifetime. But the connotation is that you have
to be close to actually kicking the bucket before you start working on
that list. I mean, 30 year-olds? They never use the term. - See more at:
http://wanderlustandlipstick.com/2012/why-i-hate-the-term-bucket-list/#sthash.EpfOOCRB.dpuf
The
idea is great. To come up with a list of goals and experiences you’d
like to complete in your lifetime. But the connotation is that you have
to be close to actually kicking the bucket before you start working on
that list. I mean, 30 year-olds? They never use the term. - See more at:
http://wanderlustandlipstick.com/2012/why-i-hate-the-term-bucket-list/#sthash.EpfOOCRB.dpuf
No comments:
Post a Comment