When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Google It

Sweet Grandgirl moment of the week:

I was talking to Grandgirl via FaceTime yesterday.  We sang the requisite, You are My Sunshine; the bumblebee song; and the bubble gum song.  Then, Grandgirl wanted me to listen to a different version of the bubble gum song.  It's on YouTube, Shug.  Just google it.  I laughed- not only was google not a word until recently, but Grandgirl accurately used it as an action verb!  This 5 year old child can navigate an iPhone like it's her job!

I curiously asked, How do I google?  To which Grandgirl replied, You just push this button and ask the phone to find the bubble gum song on YouTube.  

Amazing, really... My grandmother didn't have indoor plumbing- she had an outhouse, and she heated her home with a coal stove.  In the house where I was raised, we had one bathroom in a house of seven people.  I was the human remote as a child, as it was my job to stand at the tv and change the channel until Dad decided what to watch.  News was delivered by paper at 6am, or by Walter Cronkite in the evening.  If you wanted to know some random fact, you went to the library and looked it up from a card catalog.  If you wanted to listen to the bubble gum song, you sat by the radio hoping it would come on.  And if it did, you had a cassette recorder ready to record it from the radio so you didn't have to wait to hear it again.  YouTube? Google?  I wonder what Grandma would think of such black magic! 

I can't wait to see all the technology that will transpire in my grandgirls' lives!  Someday I'll tell them how I had to share one phone with my entire family.  The horror!

Seeking Shalom, & smiling at my smart Grandgirl, ~Shugie


No comments:

Post a Comment