When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Monday, December 29, 2014

A year in review

Between stimulus and response, there is a space. 
In that space is our power to choose our response. 
In our response lies our growth and our freedom.  
~Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning

2014 has been the year of new:  new experiences, new friends, new thinking!  In tribute to this year of growth and freedom, here are some things I've learned in 2014...

1. Lifetime friendships are rare, and should be both savored and protected.  I met BFFfromHS in 5th grade, and we were together during some significant life events this year- some happy, some not-so-happy.  She's the passive, to my hyper-worrying nature.  She turned me on to Walking Dead and Bates Motel!  We zip-lined, wine-tasted, geocached, laughed and cried together this year.   LOVE this lady!

I had a 6 hour breakfast/lunch/happy hour with my Ya-Yas!  I've known these ladies for over 30 years!

KyGuy and I had a great time celebrating at a wedding in Vail.  The fall scenery and weather were perfect;  accommodations were luxurious; and the company was side-splitting fun!


Blackhawk/Avs game with Offspring #2 and the Colonel; Bling Fling charity event with 8DrsDown; Listening to a favorite band at the local watering hole; Bronco football games... there is nothing like time spent with lifetime friends.  

2. Going to the gym makes me happy...er.  In the way that coffee makes my morning better, going to the gym helps me recalibrate holistically.  Combined with eating clean, I have more energy, sleep better, and my jeans are 2 sizes smaller.  Boom! 

3. My heart is big enough for both of my beautiful grandgirls!  They are my loves.  Grandgirl is a precocious child, combined with confidence galore (ask this child about echolocation, or camouflage!).  Tangled is smart, and cuddly, and I love watching her learn!  

4. I LIKE my siblings.  I've always loved them, but with 2 sib trips in 2014, and one on the calendar already for 2015, I've realized... I like them too!  As Big Bro says, "I'd rather hang out with them, than the finest people I know!"  Slainte!


5. Snowstorms are romantic.  If you plan ahead, you can get a couple stay-at-home days with a bottle of wine, a fireplace, and your favorite snuggler.

6. I don't want to live in a safe box.  Though I'm ordinarily conservative on risk-taking, I have definitely stretched my comfort zone this year.  More than once this year, I've coaxed myself into doing something with "why not?" as my justification.  I don't know how many tomorrows there will be on my calendar.  So, my goal is to love hard, break some rules, drink good wine, spend time with happy people, and enjoy all that life has availed!

7. Facebook kills brain cells.  Remember that post you read about how much your friend's life sucks?  Neither do I.  Facebook is an outstanding way to see what the grandkids are up to and tell your friend from HS study hall, Happy Birthday.  But, there is a natural inclination to assume that what is posted on Facebook is the totality of that person's life.  Inaccurate.  No one posts the fight they had with their spouse last night, or the financial troubles they are having.  Believe it or not, life is bigger than Facebook!  Keep this in perspective as you resentfully read about your neighbor's trip to Aruba.

8. My sons are funny.  I'm sure they get this from their father (Okay, okay...unnecessary sarcasm....but funny!!!).


9. Education does matter.  Obtaining my Master's Degree this year was a huge personal milestone for me.  Not only do I respect myself more as a result of completing my degree, but so do other people.  More than once, I've seen the raised eyebrow and slight nod from an acquaintance at the realization that I am an intellect, I have an opinion, and I'm not afraid to use it.  Again I say, Boom! 

10. Read, Read, Read.  Your 7th grade teacher was right on this one.  You can never read enough.  My goal for the year was to read 10 books, and I did it!  My new favorite author is Viktor Frankl, and I'm on the fourth reading of his epic work (no, that only counted as one book!).  I've joined a book club with a group of ladies who challenge each other's thinking and experiences.  For now, this satiates my need for learning, but I haven't completely put to bed the idea of a PhD...

11. Work ethic and integrity get noticed!  Hearing that your boss', boss', boss complimented your work is a great feeling.  Finding out that the CEO increased your merit increase, is flattering.  Laying your head on your pillow knowing that you are a contributor, is priceless!

12. New friendships and relationships happen when you least expect them!  Whether it's a connection with a coworker and his wife, neighbors down the street, the Zumba instructor, or Longmire himself, new friendships abounded this year! 
 
13.  God is still in control.  I arm wrestled with Him multiple times this year, but believe it or not, He really does work for the good of those who love him!  Whew~

I hear 2015 knocking, and I can't wait to see what is behind the door!  Ready or not, here it comes. 

In Faith & Anticipation, ~Shugie

No comments:

Post a Comment