When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Nope... Still Not in Kansas. Whew!

I've discussed ad nauseam, the fact that I used to work at a very conservative, judgmental, legalistic, non-profit organization.  I've also shared how polar opposite my new work environment is.  Out of sheer habit, I still do the "CMA Sweep" when I go into any establishment that serves alcohol.  The first time I went to happy hour with friends from the firm, I was noticeably uncomfortable-  right up until the point when drinks for everyone were charged to a corporate card. 

Today I had a meeting with an AVP, with whom I've worked closely on multiple occasions- I consider him a friend. Before I left his office, AVP said:  Hey, I know you're out next week, so I wanted to give this to you now.  Merry Christmas!  At this point, AVP pulled out a bottle of exquisite red wine and placed it in front of me on his desk.  I looked from the bottle to him, sure that this was a trap.  I no doubt looked ungrateful as I stammered my thanks and stood to leave.  In order to get to my office, I would have to walk through a busy service center, down the hall, down a flight of stairs, into HR, and down a hallway to my office- while carrying a bottle of wine!!  I stood in AVPs doorway realizing that I didn't know where to hide this bottle.  I was wearing a dress- a rather short dress in fact.  That bottle couldn't be hidden anywhere that it wouldn't be noticed!  I again stuttered my thanks and this AVP with whom I've had dinner looked at me like I was having a seizure.  I quickly left and tried to casually walk to my office- bottle under my arm/then under my pad of paper/then in my lowered hand...  I shut the door of my office and placed the bottle on my desk, staring at it.  In a former life, I would have been judged a pariah for this moment.  In my new life, I was simply given a gift by a friend.



Staring at the bottle amid my paperwork piles of job security, I pondered that many things have changed in my life this last year, and all for the better.  There are still times that my psyche has to reprocess the moment, and remind myself that Big Brother no longer exists in my world.  These days, I get to be.... well, ME!  And I've decided that not only do I like her, so do some other really awesome people!
  
Do not judge, or you too will be judged.  For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.  Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
Matt 7:1-3 

In Faith & Relief at the blessing of authenticity, ~Shugie

2 comments:

  1. Would have been easier to "take care of it" if it was a bottle of white....

    ReplyDelete