When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Pièce de résistance


free·dom
ˈfrēdəm/
noun
1.  the power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint.
"we do have some freedom of choice"

For the past 12 years, I worked for the Alliance.  I moved through the ranks, from part-time admin to Director for HR.  As a single female, I was talked down to, put off, paid less, and gossiped about repeatedly. My personal life was scrutinized, criticized, and cauterized by the Alliance.  I did not sleep my way to that position; I was not the President's pet; nor did I get any special privileges.  I got there because I worked my ass off.

Four nights a week I was the last one out of the parking lot. I knew and accepted that I had to work harder than my male counterparts.  Ideas from me received a placating nod. The same idea from the jerk sitting next to me, was brilliant.  I knew I had to prove I was more than a blonde in a big office. So, I went to grad school. This is when I realized how jacked up (not my first word choice) the Alliance was.  Strategy?  Organizational development?  Love thy neighbor?  I don't forkin' think so...

My Vice President was a mentor to me, and I have a great deal of respect for him.  I sharpened my business acumen working for him, and he ethereally understood the dilemma I faced in a male dominant organization. But, in the end- he submitted to his new boss and as a result here I sit... In the lap of an e-commerce firm!

No one gives a rip about my personal life, whether or not I enjoy Chardonnay, or if I come to work today in yesterday's clothes. I can vacation where I want and don't have to hide the fact that the entire time I drank margaritas by a pool in a tiny bikini. No. One. Cares. It's a beautiful thing!!!!!

I love that the mandatory sexual harassment video explained harassment using 2 men as one of the examples!  I love that the firm doesn't drug test- because they don't care!  I love that a VP came up to me at lunch to talk to me about Ireland- and told me a story that included doing shots of Jameson in a pub!  I actually giggled when the onboarding trainer swore during his presentation!

Now, I am under the radar. Off the grid. Respected as a professional.  Paid well.  Considered smart enough to run a branch office.  I can't believe I have so much awesome in my life!

And I intend to keep it that way.

With faith, ~Shugie


3 comments:

  1. Hey! I found you in this video...the blonde with pink.
    http://youtu.be/fq8CSmE6ZPk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite song! Maybe I should come up with my own video. Ha
      ~Shugie

      Delete
  2. Couldn't be more proud of you. You deserve good things. I think many would be surprised if they really knew how the Alliance operates. Would you donate money to an organization that treats WOMEN as second class citizens? THINK PEOPLE!

    ReplyDelete