When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Friday, April 18, 2014

Let the Good Times Roll...up.

If you work really hard and you're nice, amazing things will happen.
Conan O'Brien


Thanks to all of you who have asked about how my career transition is going!  I spent 2 weeks training in St. Louis before starting my new role in Denver.  As I detailed in the previous post, the new organization is very different (thank God) from the Alliance.  Trust me, no one at this place is discussing my start time.  Definitely more important things to think about...

I'm a people watcher.  I pay attention to body language, listen for what isn't being said, and seek to understand culture by the behavior of those with whom I interact.  While in St. Louis, I sought to understand the makings of what I'll continue to call, The Firm.  At The Firm, everyone works through lunch.  Everyone.  People take food into meetings and proceed to enjoy last night's pizza while discussing the transition to a new payroll system. At first I found this unusual. However, I've come to appreciate that at any given moment I can connect with anyone that I need to, because they are onsite all day.  This includes the President.  It's a fast paced environment with massive daily productivity.

I've come to learn that The Firm has its own vocabulary.  For example, associates don't report to a supervisor- they roll up to him/her.  They don't follow up with you on issues, they circle back.  An imperfect result is a one off; and difficulties within a process are described as pain points.  To include another individual, is to loop them in; and working at your best is to be in your wheelhouse.  Baseball games are akin to going to church, and opening day is cause for all associates to wear jerseys to work.  

I had a meeting with 9 women (a first for me since the Alliance doesn't allow the weaker sex to commune unless discussing things like assignments for a potluck, or how to better clean the kitchen for the men in the building). I couldn't help but smile, as this meeting was surreal.  I was sitting around a table with some of the smartest women I'd ever met.  Interestingly, in this room full of MBAs and estrogen-laced confidence, I noticed that every woman touches and adjusts her hair while adding to the discussion.  Also- lipstick is an acceptable accessory during meetings, however, cell phones are not.  

Diversity is abundant.  This includes age, race, gender, and sexual orientation.  Every employee is expected to adhere to the core competencies, one of which is Trust & Integrity.  I love this!

People are happy.   HR is respected.  Gossip isn't tolerated.  Leaders are friendly.  Men wear ties.  Work/Life Balance is a priority.  Video conferencing is daily.  Policy is followed.  Women are equals.  Meetings end on time.  Binge tv is conversation.  Happy Hour is a given.  Sexy shoes are everywhere!  

At every single introduction I was told, "Welcome to The Firm!"  I don't know what the future holds, but I know this:  I'm enjoying the ride!

With Faith, ~Shugie





2 comments:

  1. Let's circle back soon on that one off pain point a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What immediately comes to mind is, "welcome to the real world!" It's a world that not only appreciates, but VALUES diversity, integrity, and new ideas. I couldn't be more proud of you! I am truly confident that you are going to thrive in your new organization. This is such an opportunity for person growth and development and you have so.... much to offer.

    On a side note, I remember the "vocabulary" from my first job. It seemed they existed in a world of acronmys and I never felt I would be a part of it. How quickly it becomes second nature.

    I'm so proud of you and all that you've accomplished. You are truly an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete