When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Carl Jung and Norma Jean

Carl Jung created the Myers-Briggs Type Inventory, and the accuracy of the tool amazes me.  I have used the MBTI tool in workshops for conflict resolution, team building, career counseling, and even with couples in rocky relationships.  Time and time again, the MBTI provides insight and clarity into personality types and communication styles.  My type is ISFJ.  I won't go into the psychometrics of it, but one of the many characteristics of this type is an aversion to change.  

I like changing the living room furniture around, and I like changing clothes.  I don't mind changing my route to work, and I don't even particularly dislike having the oil changed in my car.  What I don't like is the unexpected, dramatic, uncomfortable change- like the ending of employment that I have previously described.  However, once I set my mind to it I adapt to the unanticipated change, and I then embrace it.

Every time I leave the grandgirls, my heart splits in two.  I try to coach Grandgirl #1 ahead of time that this time, we won't cry when I leave.   We make calendars and pictures to represent the number of days until we can be together again.  Then we hold each other tight and cry anyway.  I tell her:  I have to leave, so that I can come back!  The precocious child just looks at me, clearly wondering why then it wouldn't just be easier to stay.  This, is the dilemma with change...


Though it initially seems easier to just stay, jobs have to end in order to find a better one.  Seasons have to end, so we can be closer to summer.  And sometimes, Shugie has to leave, so she can come back!

One of my favorite quotes:   I believe things happen for a reason.  People change so that you can learn to let go; things go wrong so that you can appreciate them when they're right; you believe lies so you eventually start to trust no one but yourself; and sometimes good things fall apart, so better things can fall together.  
~Marilyn Monroe 

With Faith, ~Shugie

4 comments:

  1. I too dislike change. Perhaps because I'm a "SJ" too, or perhaps I because it's a political thing to me...but that would be off point here...

    I never understood change for change's sake. Why change if events and circumstances led one to make the choices they did? Didn't one make the best choice available in the moment a decision was required and thus made? I've pondered my life altering choices I've made, sometimes over and over, and over again. But that is the nature of my brain, and to some extent my disease.

    But I return to Marilyn Monroe.

    "I believe things happen for a reason. ...things go wrong so that you can appreciate them when they're right; ... and sometimes good things fall apart, so better things can fall together. "

    That blonde was one smart cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much for "dumb" blondes..... :)
    ~Shugie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Change is the reason I get up in the morning. I already lived yesterday, who wants to watch reruns?
    But, what you really meant to say was how much you love to change your shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. Changing shoes is the BEST! :)

    ReplyDelete