When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Luke Bryan Aura

Lots of people have an opinion about my new commute to work.  Each person has a story about how long they once commuted to work and whether or not they loved or hated it.  I've been schooled in the science of leaving at jussssssttttt the right time in the morning and which way to return home after leaving the gym in the afternoon.  The common definition of 'commute' is to travel from home to work.  Reading on, I decided that the verb definition is more applicable for me:  To change to something less severe.  Yep, I commute...

During my drive, I listen to audio books (Lone Survivor - amazing story!), catch up on phone calls (love this!!!), and make mental to-do lists.  I laugh as I see drivers talking on the phone and using their hands for emphasis in the conversation.  I watch drivers maneuver in and out of traffic and wonder what is going on in their lives.  I've decided that many must be en route to the hospital- Why else would they be driving 95 mph at 7 o'clock in the morning?  Lots of ill people in Denver I guess...

I consider how much I'm enjoying life these days, and then turn up the volume on the radio as I sing along (I'm actually a very, very good singer when the radio is loud).  I've decided that though I thought I disliked Madonna's music, I'm now actually sure of it, and feel confusion at the number of her 80s songs that are still played.  Classic rock and Luke Bryan, er, I mean, country music... fill the air.  :)

I think about the insight recently shared with me, "You're not the same person you were a few months ago.  You're so....content!"  This makes me smile.  Less and less do I hear myself considering "If only..."  The malaise of discontent no longer haunts my thinking, and has been replaced with an aura of serenity.

How do I like my commute: My change to something less severe?  I like it pretty damn well.

With Faith, ~Shugie

2 comments:

  1. Sis - I love your comments about your commute. Isn't it truly as good or bad as you choose to make it? I've also traveled longer distances than considered the "norm," however, I felt it gave me time to think and prepare for my day and unwind in the evenings. I mean really, isn't it up to me to decide what's "too far?" Given the amount of money your new employer is paying you I feel confident in your ability to make the decision that's right for you! You Go Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a pleasant 45 minute commute I used to make a couple years ago. Mine was on a not-so-much country road with beautiful scenery. I loved that drive! The sights, the smells, the openness. Such a peaceful drive that made me forget my troubles. But while I loved the time and peace afford to me by that drive, it was the anticipation that I enjoyed the most. Yes, anticipation, such an opposite perhaps of peace. But they did coexist in near perfect harmony. I would wonder what the evening would hold, a move, dinner, wine, chats, or just enjoying quietness in the company of my love. Yes, those commutes were a time of reflection. Things accomplished, the things to make better, and things to share. I miss that country commute into happiness and peace.

    ReplyDelete