When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The LOS

I've spent the past week in the Land of Shugie.  It's one of my favorite places on earth- a place where there is no stress.  In the Land of Shugie my hair is in a ponytail and Grandgirl doesn't notice.  We have M&Ms for breakfast and water the grass in our jammies.  In the Land of Shugie, we make cookies and eat the dough.  We go to the zoo, and feed the animals, even when it starts raining.  In the Land of Shugie we watch movies until we fall asleep every night, and I hear Grandgirl start each day with, "Wake up Shug, it's morning out!"  In the Land of Shugie, putting on make up is an event.

In the Land of Shugie, we have tea and hold our pinkies out.  We ask the Daddy to bring us ice cream while we get pedicures- and he does!  In the land of Shugie we do card tricks because we are magical.  Kisses and hugs are abundant, and we learn new words like attitated.  In the Land of Shugie we paint everything from canvas, to the driveway, to the watering can...and it all looks beautiful. 
 
 
In the Land of Shugie, we call the sister-to-be, Tangled.  We dance to Gangnam Style- and we're good!  In the Land of Shugie, Grandgirl tells me that Daddy said boys have germs and that no kissing is allowed.  In the Land of Shugie we sit together on the sofa.  And in the car.  And on the recliner.  And at the dinner table.
 
The Land of Shugie is a special place, because I can only visit occasionally.  Life is perfect in the Land of Shugie, where the most important decision of the day is which princess dress to wear.  When I leave this place, the tears flow and a piece of my heart disappears.  Immediately, I begin to plan my next trip to the Land of Shugie...
 
I love you bunches Grandgirl!
 
In Bliss & Grace, Shugie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment