When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.
To blither or not to blither
I received a phone call last Thursday that made my heart leap. My big brother was coming for a visit the very next day! Sib #2 (as I've called him here previously) is a wonderful man. He is an amazing father, has an excellent business sense, and doles out grace in massive doses. Our family calls him, "Switzerland" because he never chooses sides in family conflicts. This man who reminds me so much of our dad, was headed my way! I phoned Sib #4 who lives a few hours from me and in no time at all we had a family reunion planned for Friday afternoon.
When I am with my brothers, I laugh until my sides ache. They are willing to laugh at themselves, at each other, and definitely at me. At one point in our laugh-a-thon, I pointed out that they were blithering idiots. Sib #4 paused only briefly before adding that his ability to "blither" was what he did best. (Sib #2 then predicted that a blither blog would likely be forthcoming.)
Sib #4 is a talker. Once he gets a chuckle from you, he can wax on about paint drying and somehow you will actually want to hear more. As he laughed at his own performance, he chided that we had great "toleration" for him. Then both heads turned to see how the grammar Nazi would react.
Being with my brothers gives me a comfort like no other. Sib #2 reminds me to look at things differently than I might otherwise. Sib #4 reminds me not to take life too seriously. I love these men more than I can explain and being with them is like having a little part of Dad there, too. Even when they blither.
In Bliss, Sis/Shugie
No comments:
Post a Comment