When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Like, totally awesome


I  saw an article online about how to make your life seem awesome on Facebook.  Yes, really.  The article mentioned things like: Photoshop your photos of yourself; Be brief and vague on your info page; Never write about what you're eating, reading, or watching on tv- that's boring; Make up Facebook friends if necessary.  Holy catfish, there is an insecure 14 year old girl out there somewhere who is reading that and accepting it as reasonable and informative!!  I'm speechless (ha- you know better than that).  Perhaps.... one should get off of the computer and find some awesome!

Life is awesome.  Even on days that blow.  Monday was one of those "I'm going to march into the VP's office and quit my job" kind of days.  It was a crummy day, all day.  I sat at my desk and fantasized about what I would say in my dramatic yet well timed resignation speech.  But then.....awesome came.  The grandgirl called because she missed me, and then I hit 2 green lights on the drive home.  Awesome.  A check I'd been waiting for was in the mailbox that evening.  Awesome.  I laughed out loud at my favorite tv show.  Yep, awesome.  ((Although apparently I shouldn't put that on my Facebook status.))

Don't get me wrong - there are days I search craigslist for jobs at fast food restaurants.  I practice my line "...would you like fries with that?"  I look for jobs with construction companies to be a sign holder.  I could stand there all day and mindlessly flip the sign from go to stop every 25 cars.  I could be one of those people who stands on the street corner holding a sign about a sale at the adjacent store.  They listen to an iPod and dance around getting passersby to look at them.  Hey, I could so do that!

Generally right in the midst of my massive pity party, I get a huge dose of AWESOME.  It's watching Offspring #1 walk across the stage to accept a diploma, and it's seeing Offspring #2 thrilled over a college acceptance letter.  Awesome is a stunning sunset, an unplanned sushi lunch, a text from my high school BFF, and putting glowsticks in the grandgirl's bath water.  Awesome is having exact change, and it's laughing until my face hurts.  It's coming across an old picture that makes me smile, and it's the taste of homemade ice cream.  The smell of grass, drinking from the hose, and sweet tea with lots of ice on a hot day-- all awesome.  When I'm willing to step back and realize it, life is pretty stinkin' awesome.   

According to the article, I supposed the Gods of All Things Facebook are shaking their heads at my lack of awesomeness.  Boring status.  Unretouched photos. Friends that I actually know.  The horror-

We only get about a hundred years to find awesome, and we're all well into the journey.  Today is the greatest day you've ever lived.  Find some awesome!

In Bliss, Shugie

No comments:

Post a Comment