When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Shugie's Shunshine

My very first blog post (Chocolate Chip Cookies and Rocking Chairs) was about the anticipation of my grandgirl's arrival. It's difficult now to remember life without her!   

Grandgirl and Offspring #1 were here for a week and we celebrated St. Patrick’s Day together, along with Offspring #2.  Throughout the week Grandgirl and I went to the park, played on the swing, wrote on the sidewalk with chalk, made cookies, and attended multiple tea parties for two.  Who knew that a kitchen sink full of water and a few utensils could be so much fun?!  And let me say, there is no other child on the planet that I would let blow bubbles over my hard wood floors.  But hey, I knew it was nothing a mop couldn’t clean up...eventually. (No time for silliness like cleaning while she was visiting.  I had Playdoh triangles to build!!)   Apparently, the child had never experienced the pleasure of cookie dough.  As a result, we may need to research a toddler 12 step program for her addiction.


We danced and cheered at the news that Peyton Manning had become a Denver Bronco.  Clearly, Grandgirl needs to come out of her shell, but truly, we're working on that:


What did I shop for when I didn't look for little pink clothes for Grandgirl? Were my own really the only shoes I ever bought?? What did I do at the end of a crummy day before I had Grandgirl to sing “You are My Sunshine” with me?  Was there actually a time when I didn't think Elmo was funny? When eating cookies for breakfast was not acceptable? When I didn’t find barrettes and hair bows in my pockets?  Doesn’t everyone stockpile Playdoh? 

What a boring life it must have been pre-Grandgirl.  I just don’t remember for sure.



In Bliss,  Shugie



A mother becomes a true grandmother the day she stops noticing the terrible things her children do because she is so enchanted with the wonderful things her grandchildren do.







No comments:

Post a Comment