When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Think it. Say it. Do it.

Did you ever have one of those moments when you thought about someone, and made a mental note to contact them, and the time just got away…and you never made the call? Then some twist of fate happens and you think, “You know, I was just thinking about him, and meant to call him.” But you know what they say about good intentions. Not much actually.

A few weeks back I bought tickets to a college football game. Offspring #1 is a sports medicine intern for the team, and it was the homecoming game. I’d get to see my boy in action! My brother and his wife were going to the game as well and I had an extra ticket. I decided to phone Nephew #1 and see if he might be interested in going. Later in the day I remembered that I still hadn’t made the call, but I really wanted to ask Nephew to go. Maybe I’ll text him first. Nah- I’ll just call. I haven’t talked to him in a while. I got caught up in my day and didn’t make the call.

Later that evening I remembered that I hadn’t called Nephew yet. I looked at the clock and it was almost 9pm. That’s going on 10pm in the Midwest… I’ll do it tomorrow. I sat down to the computer and signed into Facebook- my nemesis timewaster. The first post in the news feed was from Nephew’s brother. I read ….was in an auto accident…. airlifted…. burn unit of the hospital. How can that be? I was just going to almost thinking about trying to find time to get ready to call him! But I hadn’t. A brief conversation with Sibling #2 confirmed the accident. Nephew was in the ICU at the hospital in a medically induced coma. No details about the accident.

I flew to the Midwest a few days later.  I took my grandgirl to the football game, and was thrilled as Offspring #1 ushered us onto the field pregame. As we stood near the players walking the field in their suits and ties, I could hardly contain my, “hey-everyone-this-handsome-brilliant-athletic-trainer-is-MY-son” strut. This time, I didn’t put it off… I leaned in and hugged him and told him right there that I was so very proud of him. He gave me the, “That could’ve waited” look. Actually, it couldn’t, and I smiled to myself.

The following day I went to the hospital. Let me first say that Sibling #2 is the strongest human I know. He is a take-charge guy. He finds the most linear, logical way to handle every situation. However, when I lay eyes on him, I see that he is daunted. After suiting up with a gown, gloves and mask, I step into Nephew’s room. The moment is surreal: Machines are beeping. I smell disinfectant. A smiley face balloon hangs in the air. My eyes land on Nephew. He is bandaged and sleeping. For just a moment, my mind can’t grasp the reality of it and I turn to Sibling #2. Seeing his great concern and gentle touch as he puts ointment on Nephew’s lips, tells me that this is in fact reality.

For a moment, I want to climb into the bed and hold him. I want to tell him I’m sorry for not calling when I first thought of it. I want to tell him that Moms can fix anything….until I remember that I’m just the Aunt. So instead I kiss his forehead with my mask-covered mouth and I say the one thing I know to say, “I love you Nephew. And I’m so happy to see you.” This is the gospel truth. His eyes meet mine and he says my name. After a brief exchange, he goes back to sleep. Sibling #2 and I talk for a moment and pray over Nephew. Though I can’t even imagine what it would be, I have to believe the Lord has a plan in this. Nephew wakes off and on through the afternoon and we chat. He bends his leg to touch me at the side of the bed and when I ask why he whispers, “Duh, I’m hitting you” and then almost smiles. Silly, but encouraging.

As my visit ends, I bend down to tell Nephew that I’m leaving. I get teary; he gets teary; I tell him again that I love him, and I promise him I’ll be back tomorrow. Though I know he won’t remember this conversation tomorrow, I ask him to promise me something. I ask him to fight. He nods in agreement.

Offspring #1 and I go back to the hospital the next day and Nephew is awake. We all chat and I hear some of Nephew’s sarcastic wit in his brief comments. Again, encouraging. The road ahead will be a long one for him, but he is here. I watch he and my son speak privately and I’m so happy that they can share.

The time comes for me to leave, and head to the airport. After kissing Nephew goodbye and leaving, I have to go tell my grandgirl the same. I pick her up from the hospital waiting area and carry her all the way to the parking garage. I start explaining that I have to go home today. She replies, “No go home Shugie!” I couldn’t agree more. I tell her I love her over and over, and then put her in her car seat. I tell Offspring #1 that he is the best dad I’ve ever seen, and that I couldn’t be more proud to be his mom.  Somehow it seems important that I say this before I leave here.

I had promised Nephew that I would come back. He promised me he would fight. I promised myself that never again would I not follow through with good intentions.

Life is the most fragile, unstable, unpredictable thing there is. In fact, there’s only one thing about life we can be sure of… it ain’t over, till it’s over.   ~Meredith Grey

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is such a great reminder...a powerful message. Thank you so much for posting. Saying lots of prayers. Love you Auntie! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete