I have a small library in my home. So small in fact, that “library” is a misnomer, and as such we’ve always called it “the reading room.” For me, it’s a quiet room and time there is restorative and calming. Growing up, my sons knew that when Mom was in the reading room it was best to keep the chaos in another room, and leave her in peace.
The reading room has sections of books by type: the spiritual section; the travel section; the psychology section; brainless novels; the Republican section (not lying!); a section on business topics; a healthy lifestyle section; books to read to children and books for children to read. (Ahhh- I’m feeling calm just by visualizing them all!)
Once in a while I go through the stacks and reread something that particularly spoke to me at some point. In fact, inside the front cover of many of these books, I’ve written the date that I first read it. (OCD, remember?)
Recently as I was perusing titles it struck me how difficult, if not impossible it would be to take every piece of information from every book, and implement it into your life, without contradicting the insight of another book. Just the contrasting titles are enough to send the reader over to the self-help section in search of a schizophrenia cure.
For instance, Who Moved my Cheese is about dealing with change, and The Land Between teaches us to set our sights on moving from here to there. However, 50...is the new 50! instructs us to embrace who we are right now. How to do both?? (No, I am not yet 50. I'm yearrrrssss from 50. I don't choose to hypothesize on why I purchased this one.) Wild at Heart talks about what men innately need in relationships, while God on a Harley tells women to love yourself and stop worrying about what he is looking for. Ok, reallllly?- Am I the only one who sees the disparity??? How Full is Your Bucket says that we need to do things that increase our self fulfillment, while How to be Happy, Damnit says that who you are now is good enough!! Then... The Purpose Driven Life starts with "It's not about you." I'm telling you, it's dizzying!
If I took every piece of advice from every book I've read, I'd believe that Prince Charming was in the produce section just waiting for me to bump into him. Time travel by a Scottish Highlander is hot hot hot. Good Parents read to their children 1.5 hours per night. "Because I Said So" IS a reasonable answer. When God doesn't Make Sense you aren't praying hard enough. The Good Life is based upon simplicity. The Power Within You is all you need. Opposites Attract. Life Hurts. Eating Organic is better. And, Dan Quayle will be the next president (okay, that's an old one). Did I mention the Highlander??
Each book holds an intrigue to me, though I no longer feel the need to jump through the advice of every literary hoop laid before me. I'm content to read and reread my old favorites: Love in the Time of Cholera is a beautiful love story. I smile every time I read about Jem, Scout, and Boo Radley in To Kill a Mockingbird. I cry each time I read Love You Forever. I still hold to the promise to Be There when my boys meet me in heaven.
And... I still dream of running away to Scotland every time I read about the Outlander Jamie Frasier. Oh how I love that reading room!
And... I still dream of running away to Scotland every time I read about the Outlander Jamie Frasier. Oh how I love that reading room!
No comments:
Post a Comment