Throughout the boys’ childhoods, I corrected poor grammar repeatedly. So much so, that they coined the nickname “Grammar Nazi” for me. I have to admit, I always smiled a bit when they used it. It just meant that they were paying attention.
During their high school years, and even into college, the boys came home with stories about teachers using poor grammar (again, they were paying attention…). There is a certain respect that people hold for someone who can communicate well, and once a teacher used poor grammar, that respect level plummeted. Offspring #2 was incensed by an English teacher who said, “We gonna” instead of, “We’re going to.” Offspring #1 silently chides people who reply to, “How are you?” with, “I’m good.”
In a conversation with a friend about this topic, she shared her pet peeve word: flustrated. Do tell… are you flustered, or frustrated?
My parents had a neighbor who would wax on about something and when he had a very important point, would say: “Matter and fact….”
“Anyways” is not a segue statement.
A CNN news anchor used the word “irregardless” last week. Does that mean NOT regardless? Which, would mean regarded? What is this world coming to?!
Grammar in writing is a whole nother issue…(okay, I can’t even do that as a joke). The use of they’re/there/their appears to be a crap shoot in most cases.
Then/than and affect/effect are seemingly used with guesstimation. To/too/two? The art of texting has taught us to just put a numeral in there and call it good.
A large amount of something is “a lot.” It’s two words. And the crème de la crème is the use of the apostrophe:
Is my quest for proper grammar simply elitism at its finest? I don’t think so. As my Dad used to say, “You should be able to hold an intelligent conversation with the President of the United States.” Irregardless.



Couldn't agree more, Rhonda!
ReplyDelete