"This is the sort of English up with which I will not put." ~Winston Churchill
"I would die. Die, die, die!" ~Jack McFarland
"I would die. Die, die, die!" ~Jack McFarland
Apparently, the issue of poor grammar use resonated with this audience. After my last post, many of you shared more examples of poor grammar usage. Grammar Nazis Unite! Let the tirade continue:
“Like” is the most irritating word on the planet. When a high school girl squeals, “It was like, sooo fun!” I want to reply, “Was it LIKE ‘so fun’, or was it actually ‘so fun’?” My guess is it would take her a minute to figure that one out.Explaining that you “don’t got no more” of anything makes no sense. It means that you do not, not have any. Basically, you’ve just indicated that you in fact have plenty!
Expecially is when your former spouse really likes something.
Another pet peeve is grammatical redundancy. Examples include: end result, followed after, actual fact, exact opposite, subject matter, PIN number, and ATM machine. Do I really need the second word for clarity? Are you sure for certain?
“Is” and “are” seem to confuse people all the time. A sign at McDonald’s: “TACO SALADS IS BACK!” Well, I be so excited!
"Ignorant" and "arrogant" are not interchangeable words. The former means that you are clueless, and the latter means you’re cocky. Though now that I think about it, I have known someone who was expecially both.
I heard the other day that a gym was family orientated. What would that look like? Chinese food and potatoes served in the gym daycare?
Though it’s irritating, I even slip into this one after a few days in the Midwest: ending a sentence with a preposition. Where are my keys at? Where are you going to? Can I go with? When I hear a preposition at the end of a sentence I have to remember to breathe, as I realize I’m still waiting for the rest of the sentence.
Grammer is what some children call their grandmother. Personally, I prefer Shugie. ;-)
I was at Navy Pier in Chicago when the boys were small, and I asked the ferris wheel attendant if the boys were tall enough to go on the ride. His answer, “It all appens.” Cleared that one right up- we passed on the ferris wheel.
During a recent conference call, I had the privilege of ya know, listening to the caller, ya know, tell me all he knew about ya know, training. As I’ve been known to do, I quit listening to the content of the conversation and started counting the “ya knows.” Apparently he wasn’t terribly confident that I in fact DID know, as he had to remind me that “ya know” 23 times during our brief conversation.
I overheard an educated individual use the word conversate (yes, seriously!). Let‘s all champion a cause, to inform people that they aren’t smarter just because the words they use have more syllables. All those syllablesians still have to make sense!
I read a comment about contracting the words "there are," as in "If there are any questions..." How does one pronounce there're? Try it a few times- it's tricky.
The Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar (SPOGG) has declared March 4th as National Grammar Day. “It's not only a date, it's an imperative: March forth on March 4 to speak well, write well, and help others do the same!” I love my life, and wouldn't've it any other way!!

No comments:
Post a Comment