When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

And the winner is.....ME!

I was recently presented with an opportunity to make a career change.  I waffled and worried whether I could do this.  Should I?  Did those 12 people really get who I am in that 7 hour interview day, or am I just a great salesperson?  Can I do this??  Exhausted from overthinking, I got up from my desk and saw this:

It was quite literally the sign I needed and in that moment I made the decision to go for it.  We weren't given this journey to spend it in a safe, predictable cadence.  Time to leave the 'harbor!'  Once I made the decision, I felt excited, and flattered (they found me!), and anxious, and happy, and scared to death!  It's going to be challenging, and I'm all in.

Both of my sons were patient with helping me process (stress about) the decision, and two of my siblings were their usual stalwart support systems.  During one conversation with Big Bro, we were talking about giving notice with my current employer, and getting together soon to celebrate this change.  It's then that he shared:  I know it hasn't always been easy for you.  I know you've had to make some very tough decisions over the years.  I also know that your ex said a lot of negative things to you.  I hope your new position, and being recruited so heavily by this company, reminds you that you aren't any of the things he said.  You deserve good things Sis, and you deserve this job.  I'm proud of you.

Choking back tears, I thanked him.  This was a speech my dad would have given me, and coming from my brother- I knew it was as Dad-esque as it could possibly be.  We hung up and I thought a lot about all that he'd said.  I remembered back to when I knew "justice" was a misnomer for anything related to a court room.  I remembered trying to finish a degree while single parenting two young boys, and counting days until the child support check would arrive.  I remembered wondering over and over, Why is everything so hard?  When does the good guy win?

As I went back to mentally organizing all of the changes ahead, I laughed to myself...  Life hasn't always been easy, but it has always been good.  I have a great relationship with my sons,  my grandgirls, and my DILHe has none of those things!  It's at that exact moment I realized.... When does the good guy win??

Today.



Pursuing Kaizen and feeling strong,  ~Shugie

Living well is the best revenge. 
George Herbert

2 comments: