I recently listened to a podcast entitled, "What I learned from getting up at 5am," regarding the benefits of being an early riser. The podcast speaker challenged the listener to get an early start to each day. He prognosticated a feeling of accomplishment; more energy; and higher productivity in one's work life. He projected that when the day starts at 5am, you are then free to use afternoons at your discretion. As the title suggested, the speaker listed all the things he had learned by putting his feet on the floor by 5am each morning:1. It's best do start the day with movement: walk, jog, stretch, etc.
2. Rising early provided more time for meditation, journaling, and general contemplation about life.
3. The speaker actually created the podcast after an early morning brainstorm session!
You get the point. I was aptly motivated by the podcast, so I decided to give it a try! I set my alarm for 5am, certain that come morning I would be one creative, ultra motivated, fine-tuned picture of contemplation induced productivity!
At 2:30am I woke up and started stressing about only having 2.5 more hours to sleep. Will I be tired...?? I fell back to sleep and woke again at 4:30, thinking: I've got this. Heck, I could even go ahead and get up now! Nah- it's so warm here. I'll just wait until the alarm goes off...
At 5am the alarm sounds. I decide I'll just hit that snooze once and shoot out of bed promptly at 5:05. Actually, two snoozes won't hurt... And so it went.
What did I learn from waking up at 5am??
1. It's forkin' dark and cold at 5am.
2. I love my pillow.
3. My deepest sleep occurs between 5:00 and 6:00.
4. When an alarm is set for 5am, a 5 minute snooze button hit a mere 12 times gets me out of bed at exactly the crack of 6:00! How fortuitous!!
5. The feng shui of my psyche excels when I awaken with an even number. Like 6:00.
6. I can multi-task by meditating/contemplating life while shaving my legs in the shower.
7. God made me a night owl. Who am I to try and change the Creator of the Universe's design for my life?
7. When forced to rise early, I am not my usual jovial, kind and blissful self until at least 9am. Why subject myself and others to the torture??
You are welcome.
Pursuing Kaizen, and feeling tired... ~Shugie
I will never be a morning person, for the moon and I are much too in love.
Christopher Poindexter
LOL!
ReplyDeleteYou are sooo clever!
ReplyDeleteWell, it is 5am....in California.
ReplyDelete