I haven’t blogged in a while- obviously. A few readers have asked why and I was unsure as to how to explain the reason, perhaps even to myself. When I started this blog years back, my intent was to find the silly in the mundane, and to then articulate it in a way that was relatable, if not sarcastic (who, me??). I didn’t want to spend time on the negative, and chose instead to write about oddities and blessings that occur.
But, sometimes life just blows. Stress happens, and worry overtakes silly. The proverbial glass looks half empty and
filling it up just seems like a lot of work.
About that time, I get a FaceTime call reminding me that maybe singing You Are My Sunshine is all I need to care
about right now, so that’s exactly what I do. It's Brutiful.
Life is brutal. One day I’m driving on my commute singing along to the radio, and the next I’m in a hospital waiting room with a family member, googling medical terms and waiting for the doctor to tell me surgery is over. NeighborFriend tells me about her brother having a DNR, and that her son is being deployed. One friend has an adult child with advanced stage cancer, and another friend’s son had emergency brain surgery. Something is leaking from the ceiling in my dining room. Neighbors are divorcing. The windshield cracked. The country’s presidential candidates battle incessantly, and I worry about the ensuing state of the country. Yep, brutal.
Life is brutal. One day I’m driving on my commute singing along to the radio, and the next I’m in a hospital waiting room with a family member, googling medical terms and waiting for the doctor to tell me surgery is over. NeighborFriend tells me about her brother having a DNR, and that her son is being deployed. One friend has an adult child with advanced stage cancer, and another friend’s son had emergency brain surgery. Something is leaking from the ceiling in my dining room. Neighbors are divorcing. The windshield cracked. The country’s presidential candidates battle incessantly, and I worry about the ensuing state of the country. Yep, brutal.
And life is beautiful. Playing with my girls is an inexplicable
joy. “Shugie, I love you as best as I can!” …words that melt my
heart. Sitting on my deck looking at
the sunset through the pines, I contemplate all of my blessings. I live in a home that brings me immense
peace. I have a job with smart people of
great integrity. Offspring #2 is getting
stronger every day. Offspring #1 and his
family are thriving. I have known
love. I have friends a plenty. La vita
e' bella, indeed.
I often have a hard time reconciling
the brutal part, with the beautiful part.
Why does life have to be so difficult, so often? It’s the first question I’ll ask God when I
meet him! Until then, I’ll enjoy the chocolate
chip cookie making days between the trying days. I’ll dance in the rain, and pray through the
uncertainty. Playdoh and butterfly
kisses help.
Seeking Kaizen, ~Shugie
Whether it's the best of times or worst of times, it's the only time you have. Look for the good in each day. Focus on growth, purpose, peace, love and gratitude.
~Karen Salmansohn
well said.
ReplyDelete