When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Good things come to those who are happy!

I recently read a book by Shawn Achor entitled The Happiness Advantage.  The author discusses the misconception that if one is successful, happiness will follow. Achor challenges that conversely, success comes to those who are already happy. He goes on to say that an individual can retrain the brain to be happy.   A habit is solidified in 21 days.  By simply thinking of 3 things for which you are thankful for 21 days consecutively, the dopamine in the brain increases resulting in an overall increased happiness level. Boom-- I'm on it!!

This week, the ex girlfriend of an ex, contacted me (stay with me here, it'll make sense in a minute).  She vented that 'EK' was the "most unfaithful, dishonest man she had ever known."  This was in no way new news to me. I felt for her- especially since I noted a microgram of hope in her communication. Hope that she was enough to change him. Yes, she is "enough."  Enough to be loved by a good man instead of this philandering ass. 

This week, an employee came to me needing financial documentation for a child support hearing. I saw the stress in her eyes- the hope that I could make this relatively painless. I remembered needing the help of others to make it all work; the all-consuming anticipation of the court battle.  I provided what she needed and saw the relief in her eyes.  I felt relief too- but for a completely different reason. 

This week, I found out that Grandgirl is singing in her school talent show on March 4th. Little miss Katy Perry!  This is just 2 weeks after my current visit to Chicago to see the fam. Southwest flies every single day, so the recency of my travel is irrelevant in the equation. 

Today, I am grateful:
1.  That long ago I dodged a bullet named EK. There is no woman who can stop a serial cheater.  You just have to choose to love yourself the most!!
2.  That my days of child support and court battles are over.  Forever. 
3.  That when my 6 year old Grandgirl says she is going to stand up in front  of 200 people to sing, I will be in that audience clapping, probably crying with pride, and mouthing the words to 'Roar' right along with her!!

Mr. Achor is spot on. I feel more successful already! ;)

Pursuing Kaizen & sighing with relief, ~Shugie


Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. 
Soren Kierkegaard

1 comment:

  1. These are good points of gratitude! Keep it up. It sounds like you're doing great at being happy!

    ReplyDelete