If you look around the room and you're the smartest
person in the room, you're in the wrong room.
~Lorne Michaels
I recently read a Business Insider article that discussed superbosses. A superboss makes a point of hiring only exceptionally talented employees, and then mentors that employee to greatness. The article cites Oracle cofounder and former CEO Larry Ellison as a superboss. Apparently one question that Ellison coached his recruiters to ask new college graduates was, "Are you the smartest person you know?" If the candidate said "yes," they were hired. If they answered "no," the recruiter would ask "Who is?" The interview concluded and the recruiter would then try to hire that other person instead. Harsh! But, point taken.
Who is the smartest person I know? It's most definitely not me (yes, I'd fail the aforementioned interview...)! As I consider this question, I think of many smart people I know, who are gifted in various ways. Offspring #1 is a natural born leader. I lean on him for his emotional intelligence and business acumen. Offspring #2 is fully entrepreneurial. He helps me think outside the box and has the people skills to persuade an Eskimo to buy ice.
Sib #1 is stellar at taking the emotion out of business decisions and seeing only the facts. Sib #2 reminds me that there are (at least) two sides to everything. He is brilliant at thinking in terms of the "big picture."
When I'm unsure about world events and their impact, I call the Colonel. He sees the military perspective and explains the if-thens to me in layman's terms. MNgal is my relationship counselor-- she challenges me to think of, and admit to things that I'd rather not. :)

Each of these individuals is brilliant, with very unique gifts. But who is the SMARTEST person I know? This person makes me want to be a better me, thus one could say she is a mentor. With a vocabulary beyond her years, she can command a room by sharing her deep thoughts. She has confidently challenged a critical peer (in a preschool class no less), and with finger wagging corrected, "Yes I am pretty, and don't ever say that to me again!" She has the strength to wrap my heart around her finger. She can melt her Daddy by batting her eyes. She is Grandgirl.
Smart doesn't just come from books and experiences. Smart is an attitude; it is confidence; it is authenticity. So, Mr. Ellison, if I say I'm not the smartest person I know, and I then tell you that the smartest person I know is Grandgirl-- I hope the position for which you are interviewing is a veterinarian zookeeper, because that's what this lil' superboss plans on becoming!
Seeking Shalom & loving that she's mine, ~Shugie
#winning #yayas4eva #valentinesdayisntalwaysaboutboys Love you to pieces my yaya!
ReplyDelete<3 mngirl