When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Monday, April 20, 2015

Tea, Purses, and Pedicares

I love my two grandgirls.  Time with them is rich and pure, peaceful and satisfying.  My love for these girls comes from a place I didn't know existed, but the bounty never depletes.  Explaining my connection with these two children I did not give birth to, is an impossibility.  Even Grandgirl will tell you, I am my Shugie's heart!

Being away from my son and his family is difficult, and I do my best to see them as often as possible.  Recently, I had a business trip the same week as Grandparent Tea at Grandgirl's preschool.  What a coinquidink, right?! ;)  I worked for a couple days in St. Louis, and then drove up to see my little loves.  As soon as I walked in the door, Grandgirl squealed and jumped into my arms.  Tangled remembered me, and came to me right away!  No hugs ever felt better!  Minutes later, Grandgirl blessed me with a gift that she had bought just for me.  Some might have called it a 1972 camera case from a garage sale, but my Grandgirl said she knew that I needed a new black purse and here it was!  I immediately emptied my spring Coach purse, putting its contents into my new treasure.  I wore my new bag like a medal of honor, and Grandgirl glowed with pride.  Offspring #1 laughed and I asked if he'd had any doubt I'd use the bag.  His reply, If I could have taken an insurance policy out on what you'd do, I'd have made some money on that! 

I had driven 4 hours to get there, and we "camped out" that night (slept on the floor together).  Grandparent Tea lasted a full 45 minutes, after which we basked in the luxury of Shugie-Grandgirl "pedicares", and camped out again that night.  I got up at 3 a.m. the following day and drove 4 hours back to St. Louis to work all day and then fly home that evening.  Was it worth it?  You betcha!!  How else was I going to make crafts and drink tea with this little beauty?!  Besides, I got a new purse out of the deal!



Mi Corazón

Seeking Shalom & feeling so incredibly blessed, ~Shugie

2 comments: