When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Friday, April 17, 2015

Layla

In the 90's, MTV came up with a twist on musical performances. Instead of the usual electric guitars and synthesized music, artists "unplugged," performing with no assistance except the occasional classical guitar.  My favorite was Eric Clapton Unplugged. The relaxed, raw version of some of Clapton's best songs, made me appreciate his music in a way I previously had not. For example, in the original version of Layla I never noticed the piece as a love song- I perceived it as angry and harsh, having only heard it screamed into a mic by Clapton. Unplugged, I recognized the softness in the lyrics. I relaxed to the deep tones in Clapton's voice and decided that this hypothetical Layla person was hypothetically loved a great deal. Without the noise, I enjoy the song far more. 
At Cabo Wabo

I recently spent a week in Mexico with Longmire.  One of my goals for the week (yes, I even have vacation goals!), was to keep my phone off.  Basically, to unplug and just enjoy the time away.  I started this endeavor before leaving the states, by purposefully not obtaining international coverage for my phone.  Unless I had a wifi connection, texts, emails and internet would be extremely costly.  My intent was forced relaxation. 


Riding a bus into town one day early in the week, I noticed that most locals were on their smartphones.  Like a crack addict, I wanted to grab my neighbor's phone and check mail...weather...stocks!  But instead I sat and drooled, wondering what the equivalent of Verizon is in Cabo, and pining that I too wasn't connected to El Interneto like these blessed Mexicans.  The moment passed, but I missed my sons and grandgirls terribly!  I sent a text every few days, and yes even called once.  Outside of this, I can confidently say that I did not look at email, check voicemail, call into work, look at the weather forecast or open Facebook!  No WordFeud, Trivia Crack, Snapchat, CNN, or Podcasts! 


Rappelling Shugie
Instead, we went zip lining, walked on the beach, I read 2 books, sat by the pool, shopped, took a boat ride, was serenaded, and experienced the best margarita ever!  I could have stayed plugged in and still experienced these things, but like savoring Layla, it was all better undiluted.

I had not previously realized how tethered I was to my phone.  The lack was at first odd, then pleasant as my stress level diminished.  My intent moving forward is to stay somewhat unplugged, hoping to maintain a better eBalance to my life.  Work email can wait until, well....work hours.  And, I do not need Facebook to stay connected to the important people in my life.  I don't have to know what Hillary said five minutes ago, hear what Anderson Cooper thinks, or see photos of my friends' dinners.  I think my new word for remembering to live in real time, will be Layla

Seeking Shalom & Layla, ~Shugie


We're plugged in 24 hours a day now. We're all part of one big machine, whether we are conscious of that or not. And if we can't unplug from that machine, eventually we're going to become mindless.
Alan Lightman

3 comments: