Warning: The blog title is only gonna make sense if you see the videos, and they don't usually show up on an iPhone. Just sayin'...
Mother's Day holds so many memories, expectations, and longings. I had a wonderful Mother's Day with my sons. One son was with me, and one was physically on the other side of the Mississippi, but definitely with me as well. Memory brings me back to a day when they were small, playing in our backyard. Their dad and I were standing in the doorway watching the brothers laughing and chasing each other. A Kenny G song was playing from the living room, adding to my sense of contentment. At that moment in time, my life felt like a Hallmark movie and I knew that I would, and could keep this snapshot in my mind's eye forever. So far so good-
I remember a Mother's Day breakfast in bed with cereal and coffee. Offspring #2 was so proud as he explained how they were lucky because there was still coffee in the pot from yesterday, so they just had to reheat it in the microwave!
I remember years later getting a flower arrangement for Mother's Day from Offspring #1, and learning that he had ridden his bike 3 miles to his friend's house, because he heard the friend's mom made flower arrangements.
I remember getting a bracelet made of beads and being told, "I got the one gold bead for your bracelet, Mom. All the other kids wanted it for their mom but I got it first!"
I remember getting a handmade recipe card holder with a note that said, "I love my mom because... She rollerblads with me."
I remember a blue pinky ring, bought from a machine with a boy's own allowance, and given to me with the pride and flourish of the Hope Diamond. I wore that ring for almost 2 years.
I remember getting a call on Mother's Day that my son was in a car accident. Shock. Panic. Fear. Relief to see him and touch him. Realization that I needed to be the strong one. ER. Home. Hug him. Pray and thank God. Hug him again.
This morning on the way to work, a song on the radio struck me. The song was about a parent growing older as a child grows up. How can I help you...It's ok to hurt, and it's ok to cry. Come let me hold you, and I will try.... The song resonated with me on so many levels. I'm still helping them grow. But they're helping me, too.
That memory way back when, with Kenny G. and the Hallmark movie.... I was right. Life is good.
With Faith and Immeasurable Gratitude to God, ~Shugie
Beautiful! And I love day-old microwaved coffee...
ReplyDelete