When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Monday, August 19, 2013

Where is Mayberry?

A few days ago, I noticed that I had missed a FaceTime call from Offspring #1's phone number.  Knowing that this was a missed opportunity to talk (listen) to Grandgirl, I sent a text asking if we could still phone chat.  The response from my DIL made me laugh out loud: "I didn't call, but I asked [Grandgirl] and she said she called you."  The child is 3 years old and knows how to turn on her dad's phone, put in the security code, find the FaceTime app, and call her Shugie.  Brilliant child!

After chatting with the Princess herself, I began to ponder her phone prowess.  I thought about how different technology has made our lives and realized there are many things my Grandgirl will never know or understand...

* The reason we say "dial" a number was because of those good 'ol rotary phones.  Who could forget standing there dialing 11 digits for a long distance call (which you paid big bucks for-- no unlimited long distance!!)?

* Prank calls were part of every middle school sleepover.  With the advent of caller ID, Grandgirl will never have the gigglefest from calling a random number to ask if their refrigerator is running!

* Because families had one phone, having a chatty older sister was to the detriment of every girl.  You just knew the cute guy from history class would call if your sister would get off the line.  Picking up the other extension to see if she was still on only seemed to make her conversation last longer.

* Our family phone number was 5 digits instead of 7.  The (2) was for the town, and the 5558 was a specific family.  2-5558 was our phone number.

* The satisfaction of slamming down the receiver to hang up on someone is lost with today's smart phones.  It's just not the same to violently press the "END" button.

Life is more complex, more accelerated, more instant now.... 

* Waiting for a new album to be released and reading the lyrics on the inside sleeve was part of the enjoyment of music.  I might have swooned over Rex Smith's Take my Breath Away as I stared at his face and sang along...

* Getting directions from gas stations, pedestrians, or farmers-- all a crap shoot.

* Back when Google was a noise babies made, we went to the library for answers to our questions.  Or, we asked Dad and assumed he was always right. 

* I didn't see my grandparents - in person, or virtually - until summer.  The thought makes me cringe!

* We popped popcorn in a pan with oil on the stove.  What microwave??

* We took pictures with cameras that had film in them and flashbulbs attached.  After waiting to use up an entire roll (which could take forever!), took the used film to the drug store and only when the photos came in a week later did we realize everyone's eyes were shut in that once-in-a-lifetime shot.  So, we just bought more film and flashbulbs for next time.

* I was the designated channel changer in our house.  It was my job to stand at the TV and turn the dial from channel 2, to 5, to 7, to 9, until Dad found what he wanted to watch.  Remotes were those things on the TV show Lost in Space ("Danger Will Robinson!").

White out; Typewriters; Cassette tapes; Pong (Atari, not beer); Reruns; School Halloween parties; the Sears catalog- all things that my Grandgirl will never experience.  Though life seemed simpler then, I'm thankful for all that technology affords us.  I love that Grandgirl can pick up an iPad or iPhone and dial me while eating microwave popcorn, after pausing a movie on Netflix with the remote. 

Brilliant!

In Bliss & Grace, ~Shugie

PS-- What are your favorite "remember when's?"

5 comments:

  1. I LOVED going to drive-in movies! Mother made pop corn and snacks, and we bravely fought the mosquitoes to play outside until the movie started. Yep, we were livin' the dream - right up until the first time you went with us! OMG - you bawled so loud and so long, dad swore he'd never do that again. And he didn't! I think Mary Poppins even paused for a moment to see what all the racket was about! Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I alllllmost put in the PS, "...but I don't want to hear the drive-in story." I can always count on my fam. :)

      ~Shugie

      Delete
  2. Very nice list! I remember when I used to buy a map every time I went to a new city. That was until waaaay back in 2008. Now MapQuest gets me everywhere on my iPhone. So maybe I’ll hang on to my 37 paper maps and when they get rare enough, I’ll eBay them and make a fortune!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2-CBS
    5-NBC
    7-ABC
    9-WGN...

    I've lived around the world, but can only remember these channels by number and company. Why is that?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because everyone still loves reruns on Ch 9! :) ~Shugie

      Delete