As a little girl, I learned to love birthdays. My birthday, my siblings' birthdays, my parents' birthdays... they were always a big deal. In our large family, birthdays were the one day a year you could choose what you wanted for dinner (I always chose my mom's chicken and dumplings). And, it was the one day I got to be the favorite (no matter what my little brother did)! Birthdays had less to do with getting older, and more to do with having a day that was all yours. This is important in a house of seven people!
Last year, I blogged about social lubrication-- simply put, this is when Facebook friends post on your home page with warm birthday wishes. It's a phenomena
that has become so pervasive, it has a place in the urban dictionary! I haven't seen some of the birthday well wishers since third period study hall sophmore year, but thanks to a little reminder from Facebook, they know it's my birthday. And you know, I don't even care that they needed a reminder or that they don't really know me-- How cool that they took 32 seconds to say something nice?! Throughout the weekend I received cyber birthday wishes from all over the country, as well as 'across the pond.' Every one of them made me smile.
Getting older does not bother me in the least. I had a great day at home with family and friends. I felt loved, and blessed, and I laughed 'til my sides ached. Grandgirl called to wish me a happy birthday, and we decided that because she is almost 4 years old, I must be 5 years old. Yet another reason to smile!
In Bliss & Grace, ~Shugie
With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.
~William Shakespeare~
~William Shakespeare~
No comments:
Post a Comment