When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Monday, March 4, 2013

Shugie: Unplugged

I’ve been traveling recently, with the opportunity to relax and let go a bit.  The relaxing and letting go part, I soon realized, is easier said than done for me.  The workday before I flew out ended in an email banter between my supervisor (on one side of the world), his supervisor (on another side of the world), and myself (desperately wanting to be on a vacation side of the world).  We came to a point in the bantering when it was best to pause the conversation until we were all in the same zip code, which wouldn’t be for a couple of weeks.  That said, I commenced to overthinking each message I’d read and then playing armchair quarterback as to the intent behind each.  It was likely that I would let this consume me (not uncommon) for the entire trip.  Then, I remembered an article I’d read, indicating that getting emails/texts actually stimulates the secretion of cortisol and adrenaline into your body and prevents you from truly relaxing.   At that point, I decided to do it.  The unthinkable.  For the next few days, I would (try to) unplug…
Disclaimer:  during this time, I did have my phone on, and with me for emergencies.  But, I am proud to say that I did not check work email at all!  I did however, realize my general dependence on my smart phone.  Weather forecast in seconds.  Reminders for everything from dry cleaning to upcoming dentist appointments.  Birthday greetings to a friend across the country.  I soon realized that ordinarily, any downtime I have, I’m reaching for my smart phone to entertain, inform, or remind me.
After a day or so, my unplugathon felt great!  Freedom from the establishment!  However, in my respite, I started to notice how irritating ring and text tones were.  Johnny Cash songs, horns, bells, and even Fur Elise.  I heard one-sided phone conversations about ex-husbands, doctor visits, new diets, and a woman dissing her “crazy mother-in-law.”  As a nation of technoholics, we don’t even care who hears the sordid details of our lives!
My unplugathon taught me a few things:  I can survive without a smart phone!  I can look outside for the weather report!  I do not need know if/when I have a new email (I've since disabled my work email from my phone - baby steps)!  I do not need to know my high school gym teacher's stance on gun control or politics, via Facebook! 

The Lord is teaching me to be more present; to choose happiness; and to rely on Him for the details.  He knows far more than my iPhone anyway.  He's my iGod.  :)
In Bliss & Grace, Shugie
 
We get sucked into the Internet and streaming information, and it's time to just unplug and look within.                 ~Jonathan Cain

1 comment:

  1. He is my iGod. I love that and I cannot believe I have not seen it before now. You may have a future in Philosophy.

    But "look out the window" Thats just crazy talk!

    ReplyDelete