When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Friday, January 25, 2013

Super what???

I like movies.  When I go to the movie theater, I enjoy the trailers as much as the feature, and feel like I've missed out on the icing if I arrive too late to see them.  I try to piece together what the rest of the film is like based upon a fragmented few snippits edited from the full feature.  Then, I mentally check off which ones I think I'd like and which ones I'd never go to.  Some trailers are a great depiction of what the movie is about, but sometimes after I've seen a film I think that it was very different from what I expected when I watched the trailer.  Reality is, my expectation of a film is based upon what the film editor wanted me to percieve. 
 
 Mary Poppins is one of my favorite movies.  It's sweet, and silly, and who can resist Dick Van Dyke as the dancing chimney sweep?  My favorite line, "Mary Poppins, practically perfect in every way."  As a girl I loved telling my little brother that I knew the longest word ever:  Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

 

A film editor took this Julie Andrews classic, used some of the magical scenes and left out the exaggerated silly ones.  This is the result:

 
I admit, the first time I watched it, I found it creepy.  I've since watched it many times and I'm stunned by the result of taking away some key scenes, thus changing the perception of the movie entirely!  
 
Sometimes life has scary stuff to deal with:  bills, oil changes, surgeries, deadlines, house payments, illness and even death.  The scary stuff can become so overwhelming that it's all we can see, and it changes our perception of reality.  But that isn't the entire feature!  The big picture includes smooches from a three year old; sleeping until I wake up on my own; snow on Pike's Peak; an unexpected email from an old friend; or a glass of wine on the deck with my sweetheart.  
 
Maybe on the scary days, we just need to find something supercalifragilisticexpialidocious to get us through the day.
 
 
In Bliss & Grace, Shugie



No comments:

Post a Comment