When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Friday, January 18, 2013

Amazing...

I knew it would happen, but perhaps not quite so soon.  By claiming grace as my WTLB and acknowledging that I need to extend grace more often, it was inevitable that there would be a moment of truth when I had to walk my talk. 

In  2006, it was revealed that a local pastor had had a sexual relationship with a male prostitute.  His career as a spiritual leader ended abruptly as he was banished from his church, and for a time from the city in which he lived.  It was easy for the public to point fingers at the discretion and the media wasted no time in reporting the sordid details.  BanishedPastor was supposed to be a man of God after all!  Of course he was sorry... he'd been caught!
 
Nearly a month ago, I was forwarded an article written by a different pastor.  The article said that WriterPastor had met with BanishedPastor, and fully intended to dislike him.  However, he hadn't.  He was humbled by a man and his wife who were still together and still serving the Lord.  He was troubled at the parade of people who passed by their lunch table muttering words like "...place in hell for you..."  He was saddened that the community had treated this man like a leper- the worst offenders, were in the Christian community.
 
I decided to read more about BanishedPastor's life, post scandal.  He struggled to find a job, because no one would hire him into ministry.  His wife was criticized for staying with him, and was told she would hold hero status if she left.  But she stayed.  Eventually, they came back to their home town and started a church- for the hurting, ostracized, and broken.  As I sat reading, I felt convicted in my spirit... I heard the words:  You hypocrite! First take the log out of your own eye, and then you will be able to see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. Matthew 7:5
 
How easy it had been to play armchair quarterback in this drama, in my comfortable world where no one knows my dirt.  There are surely things that I would prefer stay in my past.  I need to come down from my pedestal and extend grace, even to a man I've never met.  
 
Does BanishedPastor deserve a second chance? No. But neither do I. This is about grace- not because it’s fair, but because it is the right thing to do.
 
This is going to be an interesting year...
In Bliss and Grace, Shugie
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment