When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Que Sera, Sera...

I have a new friend!  I had the great privilege of meeting him on January 11, 2013, his 93rd birthday.  My friend's name is Harold, and the few moments I spent with him were heartwarming, and enlightening, and edifying, all rolled into one!

Though life says he is 93, Harold looks and acts like a man in his 70's.  He was out dancing with his girlfriend!  After just a brief few moments with him, I knew I'd never forget him.  He was kind enough to share some of his story...

He always wanted to marry a girl named Shirley.  He just really liked that name.  Imagine his delight when he walked into a dance and saw the most beautiful girl in the world, and her name was Shirley.  Harold proposed on their 3rd date, but at the time he was a private in the Army, making only $25 per month.  Once he was promoted to corporal (making $64 per month), Shirley accepted his proposal.  They were married for 61 years before she passed away.  Shirley continues to be the love of his life, and he still wears his wedding ring.

I mentioned to Harold that his happiness is infectious!  He replied, "There's a lot to be thankful for!  When something bad happens, there is always a positive. When I fell on my knee and broke it, I was so happy that I hadn't broken the other one too!"  (I could learn a lesson or two from this man on the art of contentment and appreciation...)

Harold shared that his mindset is, Que sera, sera!  Which as Doris Day taught us, means: Whatever will be, will be.  He believes there is no point in stress and worry all the time, and that we should just enjoy each day that we are given. 

The last jewel of wisdom that Harold blessed me with was this:  You're only as important as the importance you are to others.  Guess that makes Harold pretty darn important~

In Bliss & Grace, Shugie

1 comment:

  1. Great reminder, half full or half empty; you make the call.

    ReplyDelete