When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Hold the whine

Today, the morning news coverage included more than concession speeches and spin doctor revelations. Today, there were no mud slinging political commercials.  Today, Barack Obama is the president of our country.  It was disappointing to see the nastiness that this election brought out in people.  The ability to tappity-tap-tap a political rant on Facebook and simply hit the send button was a temptation too hard to refuse for some.  I lost respect for a few friends-- not because their views were different than mine-- but because they felt that a condescending word vomit was justified.  Thankfully, in this country we can legally disagree with our government without fear of consequence. However, disagreeing with fellow Americans results in slanderous diatribes on the intellect and political savvy of those individuals.  Somehow I doubt that our founding fathers envisioned democracy looking quite like that.

It's time to embrace reality and move on. Today, I got out of my comfortable bed in my warm house, nestled in the beautiful forest.  I padded downstairs to my sunlit kitchen where my new coffee pot had steaming hot coffee already prepared for me. I headed back upstairs where I took a long shower with my great smelling shampoo and dried off afterwards with a thick cozy towel.  I walked into my closet to choose from a plethora of options and pulled on a warm sweater and jeans. I drove an hour away with Offspring #2 where he had an MRI.  I then waited with him for the results.  I listened to a neurosurgeon tell us that the tumor has not increased in size and as a result my son will not be scheduled for another brain surgery.

We live in a country that offers safety, security, comfort, and opportunity.  My son is not having brain surgery.  This may be the happiest day I can remember!
 
Today, I don't care who the president is.  It's all about perspective...

In Indescribable Bliss, Shugie








1 comment:

  1. Very nicely written. Puts things in proper perspective. Regardless of whom I voted for (and I reference your prevoius blog...no one will know) Obama is my president. I live (and love) knowing that God is in control of all things; from our leaders...to our offspring. Thank you, Jesus!

    ReplyDelete