The
U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it.
You
have to catch up with it yourself.
When I was young, I spent time each summer visiting my
dad’s family in Texas. Very dear to me,
are memories of my aunt. I loved
spending time at her house- it had air conditioning; an intercom system; an ice
maker and an outdoor pool table! To a
little girl from Smallville USA, these things were sheer luxury! DadsSis had the sweetest southern drawl, and to
this day I remember her smile. She and
my uncle were so happy all the time. I
used to imagine what it would be like to live with them in that happy house.
NiceGuy is my cousin, the son of DadsSis. When my children were small, they would refer
to NiceGuy and his wife as, “the couple who is happy all the time.” NiceGuy and his wife have a great love
story. Even after decades together, they
dote on each other like teenagers and giggle at the sight of one another. They seem to find the positive in every situation
they encounter. They are still, “the
couple who is happy all the time.”
BroncoFan and her husband Winemaker are this way as
well. They recently celebrated their 30th
anniversary and they clearly still enjoy each other’s company. She notices if he hasn’t eaten as he works
the room during a party, and forces him to sit down for a few minutes to nosh. He chooses to not smoke cigars because she
dislikes the smell. They are happy.
My linear mind considers what could possibly be the magic formula
for this long term contentment…
In the bible, God’s Word came to Jonah. But
Jonah got up and went the other direction to Tarshish, running away from God. There are times when I have felt the Lord’s
call and I ignored it by running away, to my own Tarshish. Perhaps, it’s time to stop running and instead,
enjoy happiness with what the Lord has given to me.
Happiness is a choice.
And, when you are lucky enough to find a partner with that same basic
mindset, you are doubly blessed – and it shows.
In Bliss, Shugie

No comments:
Post a Comment