When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Expect the....what??

Expect the unexpected. We've all heard the expression, but don't ordinarily take the precaution to actually expect the unexpected. Somehow it still blindsides me every time.

My youngest is finishing his first year of college. The guy couldn't wait to get as far away from home as possible when choosing his college. He peeled out of the driveway as I stood there crying on the day he left. Fast forward 9 months down the road....he calls asking me to pick him up Thursday instead of Friday because he can't wait to get out of that crummy school. And oh by the way Mom, I've applied to a school in the city for fall and have been accepted. Can you help me pay rent on an apartment in the city? Didn't see that coming.

The relationship that I was sure was my last, ended without fanfare or pomp and circumstance. We didn't mull over a lot of "whys" or "I'm sorry's" at the end. It just....ended. It was a relief I suppose, as the discussion would have been painful. Some things are just better left unsaid. I wouldn't have choreographed it that way, but unexpectedly, it was the right thing.

My grandgirl knows me. This may not seem like a big deal, but ((smiles)) it warms my heart beyond belief. She and her daddy called me on Skype. But this time, as the screen popped up with her pretty little chubby face I heard, "Hi Shug!" I've called her that since the day she was born and never thought twice about it. I ask her dad if she's said that before and he says only when she sees you Mom. I thought I was gonna be "Granny," but I am now Shug. She not only knows me, she picked my name all by her big girl 18 month old self. Unexpected, and endearing. I woke to a voice mail from her first thing this morning saying, "Shuggie, wake up! ...are you?" I'm love love lovin' those surprise calls.

Haven't had a beach vacation in years. Mr. Gotmyattention invited me to a trip with friends on the east coast in June. Then, Mr. Gotmyattention took care of all the details to make it happen. I've worked with this man for 9 years, with minimal interaction. Over the past year we've become best friends, and laughed often about how I thought he despised me for all those years. Not feeling like just a friend anymore. I'm surprised by his thoughtfulness and consideration for me. He's shown a consistency that I have craved but been alluded by until now. How did I not notice before now how handsome he is?  Our interaction has me thinking "what if" and "could I." Not just unexpected.... it's shocking.

I recently went on a weekend retreat alone, hoping to have time in the Word and listen for the Lord's leading. Though I should have expected it (see paragraph #1), I fully felt the Lord's guidance through scripture and prayer in a way that I haven't experienced before. I had confirmation that was so blatant, it was undeniable- just as I'd asked for. I could just picture the Lord saying, "Can you hear me now?" Funny how you seek answers, and then when they are provided they are still somehow unexpected.

Life's twists and turns can feel scary and out of control. But sometimes, in the right lighting, unexpected can feel like the biggest blessing that you just didn't see coming. ~~Shugie

No comments:

Post a Comment