I acquired my license plate 'number' 12 years ago when I was newly separated and had just leased a car. I remember pondering over the DMV form- thrilled at the opportunity to make my very first independent decision. My first idea was to get "ITSMYN," thinking how funny that would be! Then decided it was probably more catty than funny. I considered "NOT HIS," but again, that sounded a lot like, "Bitter... table for one!" Not an accurate descriptor I decided. I laughed at "HIS $$" and though it made me giggle a bit, knew that I'd never have the nerve to be so mean spirited. This small decision seemed huge to me, for my soon-to-be-ex-husband would never have let me do something so unnecessary and frivolous. As such, I wanted just the right plate... a statement. Then it came to me: 4MYBOYZ. It's the reason I do every thing that I do. It's why I left their dad. It's why I finished my degree. It's why I get up in the morning. It was the right plate and the boys loved that it was about them!
Twelve years and a few cars later, I still have that plate. It doesn't really make sense now, since I'm an empty nester. The boys no longer look to me for things like lunch money and clean socks and underwear. But I keep the license plate because it keeps me accountable... I know that they still look to me for answers. My behavior sets a standard for them and my words echo long after I leave the room. I know that the Lord put me on this earth to parent these now grown men, and seeing 4MYBOYZ reminds me that I have a responsibility to be a woman that my sons can be proud to call their Mom.
"There is only one beautiful child in the world, and every mother has it." ~Chinese Proverb
Lucky me- I have two!
No comments:
Post a Comment