When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Jebra, Trumper Tantrum, Billary, Mexican Walls, Bernie's hair, Dr. Knowlittle... Hurry up Election Day!

I don't consider my self an overtly political individual, but please don't misunderstand-- it isn't because I don't have a political bent, or that I'm not intelligent enough to speak into politics.  It is because: It's. My. Own. Business.  The very first time I voted, walking out of the polling place with my Dad, I brazenly asked him who he had voted for.  The man looked at me like I had two heads.  "That's none of your business, young lady.  And don't ever ask me or anyone else that question again.  It's a private matter."  I took my father's advice, though apparently (and unfortunately) others didn't have a Dad to explain political propriety to them...

I am not BFFs with everyone with whom I am connected on Facebook.  However, I'm happy to see their vacation pics; I love the grandchild photos; I offer congrats on the new house; and I'm thrilled when the child of a friend does something awesome!  That, to me, is the essence of social media- seeing friends new and old blessed with what life has provided. 

However..... Yesterday in my newsfeed there was a day-long, verbally condescending, downright nasty, mean-spirited political debate of sorts, amongst Facebook friends.  Seriously people?  The unkind rhetoric and disrespect is shameful.  When did people become so omniscient, so brilliant, so utterly cocky, that their opinion is now absolute truth?  What happened to One Nation, Under God.. ?  Except for those self-inflated celebrities who seem to think we should care that they are threatening to move to Canada (which I don't), we are Americans first.  Not Democrats.  Not Republicans.  Americans.  And before this election, we used to be friends!

How about this... What if we simply accept that we are unique.  Black, white, gay, straight, democrat, republican, Christian, Jew, Muslim, atheist, vegetarian, carnivore, pauper, millionaire, pro life, pro gun control, fisherman or politician....get over yourselves.  Nothing you say on Facebook is going to change anyone else's political views.  If you feel strongly about an issue, or a candidate- vote!  The US Constitution stated in Amendment XII, ratified by the states in 1791:  The Electors shall meet in their respective states and vote by ballot for President and Vice-PresidentThen, use my sage father's advice and keep your mouth shut about your vote, opinions and judgments toward that of others.

By the way-- congrats on the new job...I'm happy about your new boyfriend...praying for your surgery...your grandchild is gorgeous...love the new haircut...your house is huge....you look ripped!...the Pad Thai looks delish...and Happy Birthday!

Pursuing Kaizen, and shaking my head a bit, ~Shugie


Too bad that all the people who know how to run the
country are busy driving taxicabs and cutting hair.
~George Burns


No comments:

Post a Comment