To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
Ecclesiastes 3:1
Change... ugh. Not my favorite word. I tend to find what I like and stick with it. I order the same thing at the same restaurant every time. At my fave Mexican restaurant, I always get a quesadilla; At my favorite sushi restaurant, I want the Philly roll. I watch the Today Show and have a banana for breakfast every morning. I park in the same spot at work each day. I like my margs with salt, and Kendall Jackson is my wine of choice.
I do recognize ethereally, that change is part of life...
Grandgirl just graduated from preschool. Yes, I flew 1000 miles to be there for the 30 minute ceremony. Yes, they played the 'graduation song.' Yes, I cried. I remember when this little doll was born, and the way I felt when I held her for the first time! I'm not ready for her to go to kindergarten. But by golly... she is ready!
Offspring #2 just graduated from college (Yep, I cried at the song again). This Dean's List graduate has come a long way from the teenager who didn't care about school. Now, the world is his oyster, and he's ready to kick butt and take names! I miss the little guy who liked to play with his matchbox cars on the hearth, and make chocolate chip cookies with me. But, with law school in his future, I'm excited for all that lies ahead for him!
Change... I'm trying. I'm stretching. I'm considering. What would it be like to have someone else's clothes next to mine in the closet? (Where would I put all my shoes?!) What would it be like to sell my house? (Ok, that's NOT going to happen...just wondering if you're paying attention here) Should I get a different vehicle? Cut my hair short? Take some (more) classes? Start a new business? Lots of question marks! Life is full of awesomenacious splendidity, and I don't want to be so stuck in what is comfortable, that I lose out on what could be even better!
Like Grandgirl and Offspring #2, I want to embrace the next season...whatever that looks like. Yes, this makes me a little nervous- I like what I'm used to! But what makes me more nervous is stagnation. Irrelevance. Boredom.
You won't see me jumping out of airplanes, or piercing strange body parts, but I might just surprise you with my willingness to accept some change. And I might even surprise myself!
Seeking Shalom & Curious about what's yet to come, ~Shugie
I
have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that
we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.
Stephen Hawking
Not a fan of change either. But I've found that sometimes change is just what I needed, even when unwanted. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete