A friend loves at all times.
Proverbs 17:17
I recently received a friend request on Facebook from someone whose name I didn't recognize. I wondered why this person with no photos or information would want to be my friend. Then it dawned on me – they never said they wanted to be my friend. They wanted to friend me. While we Generation Xers know the word friend as a noun, pop culture has added the verb definition:
Friend (verb) to add a person to one's list of contacts on a social networking website: I just friended a couple of guys in my class.
I started thinking about those whom I call friend, and why. As an introvert (ISFJ), I don't let my wall down for many. For those I choose to let into the circle of trust, I am fiercely loyal. Every person I called a friend falls into at least one (if not all) of these descriptions:
We know things about each other. Author Michael Cheshire refers to this as "mutually assured destruction." BFFfromHS knows what I hid under my bed in high school. MNgal knows exactly what our fictional Australian mother told us about American men. Sibling #1 knows what I said upon finding an old flame on Facebook. But, I have pulentee on these girls as well! Mutually assured destruction, indeed.
We call without scheduling it ahead of time. After the hellos, the conversation just picks up from last time!
We never discussed the weather. What a waste – there are too many other things to catch up on!
We share meaningful experiences. It's knowing that this is your person! My friends and I have shared experiences spanning everything from fire evacuations and broken relationships, to brain surgery and empty nesting.
We give critical feedback when needed – even when it isn't wanted. If I sound unreasonable as I describe my tête-à-tête with my significant other, they'll say so. It's done with love, and I count on it. That said, if they offer no critical feedback, I'll assume that they agree I was right. :)
We don't have to be did-up. W(h)ine night attire is yoga pants, tshirts, and no make up. 'Nuf said.
My friends get me. They know I crush on Ryan Reynolds and Denzel Washington. They know I hate to cry, but I'm sappy about my Grandgirls. They know why I won't sell my house. They know that I'm slightly OCD about clean counters...and they know a thousand other things! Time has aged us, but hasn't diminished their importance in my life. As I told The Colonel this week, "You will always be important in my life. Always."
With Faith and W(h)ine, ~Shugie

The truest of friends are an asset to the soul, and to be cherished.
ReplyDelete