When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thankful, but not "Facebook thankful"

Since the first of the month, friends on Facebook have been posting one thing each day for which they are thankful.  It's very.... sweet.  And a bit perfunctory.  Did any of those people doubt that we believed they were happy to be in a warm house?  Did I need to know how comfortable their bed is?  Most people's lists are somewhat similar:  I'm thankful for my awesome husband; my beautiful daughter; rainbows; butterflies and puppy dogs.  (Yes, I realize I'm bursting someone's thankful balloon.  Yes, I'm still sarcastic in the month of November...)
Am I thankful for things like my kids and grandgirls, a job, and a car that starts every day?  You betcha!  But aren't those things all a 'given?'  It's not as if someone is going to conversely post on Facebook:  I'm not at all thankful for my 3 daughters, as I always wanted just two.  Or, I'm not thankful for my car because the hubby knew I really wanted a Beamer. 
 
So, to allay your curiosity- I've compiled my 2013 official list of things for which I'm thankful, excepting of the obvious ones:
 
1.  digital photos - pics from 1000 miles away, 3 seconds after they're snapped
2.  eye glasses - reading is my life
3.  snowblowers - and those who utilize them for my benefit  :)
4.  Wheat Thins - I could live on them
5.  BFFfromHS - she's my person
6.  flip flops - wear them year round
7.  voicemail - nature's discerning tool for the phone numbers you don't recognize
8.  Saturday - the only day that I'm not thinking about last week, or next week
9.  washing machines - because washing everything by hand would suck
10. Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Program - you already know why
11. those sarcastic ecards - make me laugh every time
12. the Cool Facts App - it's what I do any time I have to wait
13. Melatonin - zzzzzzzzzzz's for me
14. the delete button - I used a lot of white out in typing class back in the day
15. freedom of speech - I can write about whatever oddity pops into my blonde head
16. email recall - when you didn't mean to hit reply to all, and you want to keep your job
17. mascara - it's the one thing I'd take to the island if I were on Survivor
18. sticky notes - my counter to the common "list"
19. heated floors - one less thing to complain about when I get up in the morning
20. pay at the pump - makes this irritating chore that much faster
21. snow capped mountains - reminds me of how big God is
22. debit cards - I NEVER carry cash
23. w(h)ine night - going on 16 years now!
24. vacations - thinking, planning, traveling, experiencing- all part of the fun 
25. Google - because sometimes I want to know right this minute
26. baseball caps - my cure for bad hair days
 
That brings me up to date for the one-a-day in November.  Have a great Thanksgiving, and think of me next time you eat Wheat Thins! :)
 
In Bliss & Grace, ~Shugie
 
ps-- I want to hear what you're thankful for!
 

Maybe being grateful means recognizing what you have for what it is. Appreciating small victories. Admiring the struggle it takes simply to be human. Maybe we're thankful for the familiar things we know. And maybe we're thankful for the things we'll never know. At the end of the day, the fact that we have the courage to still be standing is reason enough to celebrate.
-Meredith Grey

7 comments:

  1. Mascara! Really, that's what you would take to the island? Not a pocket knife, Bible or soap, but mascara? I could even understand shoes but mascara tells me I need to show up some Saturday morning for coffee and see what no mascara looks like...yes, that's what I got and I'm thankful for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes mascara! I know the Bible (which somehow I knew someone would counter as my one item); no one else would have soap either (so who cares if I don't) and I might cut myself with the pocket knife and alas have no band aids on the island! Mascara wins! And, show up on Saturday if you must, but I offer no sympathy for the ensuing heart attack. LOL ~Shugie

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I am also calling BS on the mascara thing. Especially for someone whose motto is "I'm just a baseball cap and .... away from being ready"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again to allay curiosity--- It's PANTIES! On any given Saturday, my morning mantra is "I'm just a baseball cap and a pair of panties away from being ready to go to breakfast." :o)
      And trust me, I have mascara on then too. ~Shugie

      Delete
  4. On a serious note, I am thankful for: FaceTime to see loved ones when they are far away; my MapQuest app to get the real-time traffic status; Coffee Cup Café and to those who make going to breakfast special :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thankful to have you as my friend.

    ReplyDelete