When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Home Safe Home

I'll say right up front that not everyone will appreciate this post, and I'm okay with that!  A couple of readers have asked me to share my thoughts on this issue, and today is the day...

I'm a concealed weapons permit carrying NRA member.  There- I said it!  Not in the "I'm Betty Lou and I'm an alcoholic" sort of way, but in the "Hey, get over it!" kind of way.  I didn't have a strong opinion on gun control until a few years ago when an employee who I was terminating, threatened me.  Our workplace violence expert gave me an ensuing speech about not staying home alone, not taking the same route to work, blah blah blah.  I obliged all the directions given to me- for about 2 days.  Then I said to my self, Self, you work bloody hard for all that you have!  How long are you going to be afraid?  So I made the choice to buy a gun, and become properly trained to use it.  Then, for good measure, I obtained a conceal carry permit!  It felt good to know that I had made the choice to protect myself.

This morning at 4:30, the phone rang.  Half asleep and with a knowing panic that this can't be a good call, I answered the phone.  The Sheriff's office was sending a reverse 911 call to all homeowners in my area indicating that an armed and dangerous individual was in the area.  The message directed people to stay in their homes while authorities searched for the murder suspect.  I live in a very quiet, rural area with not even a stop light for miles-- this was surreal!  My first reaction was fear- Offspring #2 was sleeping downstairs.  Should I go wake him?  Then I remembered how I felt when I was threatened by the employee, and fear changed to resolve.  I pulled out my revolver, walked downstairs and checked that the house was locked and secure.  I went back upstairs, and placed the gun on the headboard in just the position that my right hand could readily reach it.

There were a flurry of calls and texts from neighbors checking in to make sure one another were aware of the alert.  I checked the news and confirmed the alert boundaries.  Then, as I put my head back on my pillow, I wondered to myself if I could really shoot this man if it was my house he entered.  I thought about raising my sons here, and about all the work I've put into this home.  I thought about sleepless nights when the boys were small, worrying about how I would keep this house as a single mom.  I thought about that employee leaning over the table telling me, "This isn't over...you haven't heard the last of me yet."  And I decided, This is MY home.  Oh hell yes, I could shoot an intruder.  The "all clear" call came at about 7:30am after the suspect had been apprehended.  

I know gun control is a contentious issue, and friends and family alike have conflicting opinions about it.  As of this day, the 2nd Amendment provides me the right to bear arms.  Specifically stating:  "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed".

Veterans Day is tomorrow, and I'm thankful for all those who have and continue to serve, to protect the rights that we are privileged to have as Americans.  As a soldier and POW in WWII, my own father was a great example of service, patriotism and honor toward our country.  I hope it never becomes a trite saying, but "God Bless America".

In Bliss & Grace, ~Shugie

There is not a liberal America and a conservative America- 
there is the United States of America.


4 comments:

  1. Excellent post. I do find it weird that anyone could object to someone owning a weapon. A weapon is a tool, a deadly serious tool, that provides one an equalizer to a 6 foot 200 pound man intent on harm or ill will. Here's to hoping you never need to use it, but if you do, you aim center of mass and squeeze off two quick rounds. And if need be, repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment about a gun being an equalizer is spot on. That's exactly what calmed my thinking during the night. Thanks for putting that feeling into words! ~Shugie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well written! People who think you are wrong for wanting to protect yourself are kidding themselves. Crininals prey on the weak and the helpless. It is more than a right but a duty to protect our families. I have two daughters and hope they will use their second amendment right to protect themselves when the get older.

    ReplyDelete