When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

For My Sunshine~

My Dearest Grandgirl,

Today you are 4 years old!  Four years of laughing, singing, playdoh-ing, cookie making, dancing, fun.  Four years of photos flood my house.  What was life like before your shining personality invaded our surely dull lives?  Was the front of my refrigerator bare?  Who did I call on the way home from a crummy work day, to make me smile?  Did I ever sing You Are My Sunshine before you were in my life?  Had anyone ever Irish danced for me, before you?  Who told me the world's funniest knock knock jokes, and quoted commercials to perfection?  Who else could belt out Call Me Maybe and Strangers in the Night with the talent of an American Idol winner?

Before you, I had never known anyone who wanted to be a veterinarian at 3 years of age.  I love that you don't just feel happy, you feel ecstatic!  You don't mind sharing that your parents just ezaust you.  I can appreciate that you don't want to be a philanthropist, 'cause that means to share your toys.  You don't mind telling everyone, So, uh...this is awkward...  We always know just how you feel!

You are all things girly and you readily claim to be the Princess that you are!  Even at your tender age, you love dresses, and flower bouquets, and the color pink, and headbands, and shoes, and pedicures!  You tell us that you have a boyfriend, but that you never kiss him because Daddy says you're not allowed to kiss.




 Only you, my darling grandchild, could convince me to dress up as Mickey Mouse for your birthday/costume party, and then effectively convince my mother to dress as Minnie.  I unabashedly drove to the store to get ice for your birthday soire...dressed as Mickey Mouse.  I simply chose to assume that all those people who were staring were just jealous that they weren't invited to such an important event!


Grandgirl, you changed my life by introducing me to this thing called grandparenting.  You were the first little girl that I have had the privilege to love beyond measure.  For you, I share a twin sized bed with minimal sleep, with the bonus of feeling your arm around my neck in the night (and recently, your knee to my chin...).  You've taught me that silly is fun, popcorn is dinner, and snuggling is the most important part of watching a movie.  I now know all about the wheels on the bus, and what happens when monkeys jump on a bed.  Thank you for this education that only you could provide. 

 
I'm so thankful to have you in my life, Grandgirl.  Your kind heart and overt love of life are truly admirable.  You really, really are my sunshine!

Happy 4th Birthday Sweetheart!
In Bliss & Grace, ~Your Shugie



No comments:

Post a Comment