When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger~


Words are only painted fire; a look is the fire itself.  ~Mark Twain
 
In the past few days, a devastating wildfire devoured 500+ homes near my neighborhood.  For a time, Offspring #2 and I were evacuated from our own home, unsure what the outcome would be. 

When I first learned of the fire, I knew I needed to remove things from the house that aren't replaceable.  I walked into my home and paralysis hit.  I didn't even know where to begin.  How to walk through a house where I have lived for over 20 years, and determine what is or is not important?  The task felt suffocating.  At the first signs of the hyperventilating that ensued, I went out on my front porch.  From there the black smoke billowed just overhead, and I realized there was no time for a meltdown.  I walked back in and prayed for insight as I simultaneously ran and grabbed what I was not willing to lose.

One woman reported that she took something for each member of her family, from each room of the house.  That isn't how I decided what to take.  After the passports, birth certificates and photos, I removed the things that defined my boys and I.  I stopped in each room and asked myself what my grandkids would never know about their dad's childhood if it was lost in this fire.  I took journals, baby books, and school memorabilia.  I took my parent's marriage certificate and my great grandmother's census records.  I took my dad's watch.  I took Winnie the Pooh and a favorite blankie of the boys.  And with that, I left.

Over the next 5 days, I received hundreds of texts and phone calls from people who were loving on my family from a distance.  I received an email from an individual I met eight years ago, and hadn't seen since! I felt so blessed to have so much love pouring over us.  While evacuated, we had to go buy clothes- which is not nearly as fun to do based upon need, as it is based on want.  We stayed at friends' homes, and were blessed by their kindness.  As providence would have it, my brothers were both in town, and once we received the news that my home was undamaged (Yay God!), I went to be with my brothers.   With a mix of emotions, my first comment to them was that I didn't want to be strong for a while- I just wanted to be the baby sister.  Big Bro's response, I think we can do that.  And they did. 

With only smoke damage, I am blessed to have a home to go to, when so many have lost theirs.  I have friends whose homes are gone, and my heart hurts for their hurt.  I've learned a great deal about myself through the drama of the past week, and continue to process what should and shouldn't be important in life.  Thanks to God for his protection; And thanks to each of you for your kindness, calls, thoughts, texts, prayers and generosity!

In abundant Bliss & overflowing Grace,  Shugie 
 
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”
Psalm 91:2


2 comments:

  1. You had it all the way, with poise and grace...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you could be baby sister! I am a big brother and I am sure they were thrilled to take of their sister.

    Thankful that glad you and your home are safe, but mostly I am so impressed with who you choose to be even in the midst of crisis.

    ReplyDelete