When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Thursday, December 27, 2012

For Auld Lang Syne

There are only a few days left in 2012. Amazing. The year seemed to fly by! I say that more the older I get, and remember being completely confused when my parents said such things. How does a year fly by?

This year, I met 2 new friends: Broncofan and Winemaker! They are always happy, always make me laugh, and always make me feel loved. Together with Mr. Gotmyattention, we’ve made some wonderful memories. I’ve learned that: wine + credit card = Santa Fe, New Mexico. Little did I know that driving 100+ mph in two sports cars to Santa Fe would take a mere 4 hours, but the return trip was over 10 hours long. Hmmm...

 

This year, I watched Offspring #1 graduate from college. Few college students that I know could have juggled parenting, studying, working, and an internship all at the same time. I admire his intense personal drive and I’m proud to call him both son and friend.




This year, I took Offspring #2 to two MRI appointments. The first was heart-wrenching as we heard the likelihood of another surgery, with a “wait and see” prognosis. The second was a celebration, as we learned that another brain surgery was unnecessary! My son is strong, with great fortitude to defend his beliefs, and I admire his individuality. I’m proud of the man he’s become and I can’t wait to see what is next for him!
This year, I spent 6 hours in a restaurant with BFFfromHS. We talked and talked and I never wanted to leave. In the words of Meredith Grey,“She’s my person.” ‘Nuf said.

This year, I started graduate school. I had forgotten how much I love love love learning! There are times that feel very ill equipped, but I keep going. I hope Pap is smiling...

This year, both of my brothers came to see me at the same time! My sides ached from laughing, and my heart hurt when they left.

This year, I spent a weekend with MinnGirl. She hired me about a million years ago, and we connected on a level of sisterhood. She understands my love for my children and tolerates pictures of my grandgirl. We have shared memories that we’d each prefer to forget, but that still make us smile.

This year, I watched Grandgirl blow out 3 candles on a birthday cake made for a princess. She is sweet and cuddly and dramatic and stunningly beautiful. I don’t remember life without her, and I’m blessed to be her Shugie.

This year, my CuzfromTenn came to see me! I was flattered that she would take the time to come, and loved every minute of our weekend together. With pinkies held high, we enjoyed high tea in a castle. With martinis held high we toasted to staying in touch forever. This woman taught me the art of being a backup dancer; knows that Chief Running Elk was real; and loves to hear Amazing Grace as much as I do.

 

This year, Mr. Gotmyattention and I laughed and prayed and loved. He understands when I need alone time, and doesn’t criticize my love of all things girly. He is ying to my yang and loves me when I don’t deserve it.

This year, I spent time with my mom; got a tattoo of my favorite scripture; went to the beach; was inspired by a woman named Hope Hamilton; took a Gondola ride to dinner in Telluride; hiked in the mountains; danced in the Windy City and ate sushi in Fort Myers. I played with playdoh; gambled in Las Vegas; w(h)ined with the girls; and saw both a Cubs game and a Bronco game. 

This year (as I promised in this blog), I lived in bliss. Blissssssss. It even sounds wonderful! I haven’t yet landed on my word for 2013. What’s yours??

Still In Bliss, Shugie

You don't know what you're going to get into when you follow your bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment