When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Me? Helpless?


Okay, this one made me laugh out loud.  It's so me!  I love all the girly stuff- the manis; the pedis; the dresses; the shoes; the w(h)ining.  I have no feminist driven desire to open my own car doors or attempt to prove that I'm as strong as any man.  I have no problem playing the blonde card when stopped for speeding, or during a poker game (it works!).  I love to cook for my family and my favorite smell is chocolate chip cookies.  I detest putting gas in my car (it makes my clothes smell gross), and taking the trash out just irritates me.    But, I could if I had to... And after raising the boys alone for so many years, there were a lot of times I had to.

I've been told I'm the "least helpless woman" that Mr. Gotmyattention knows (wait...was that meant as a compliment?).  I'm willing to attempt anything that I'm physically capable of doing.  I just put my cute pink work gloves over my manicured hands, and voila- I can change a lawn mower battery; cut tree branches; trim the yard; clean the hot tub; stain the deck or mow 2 acres!  I've been known to move all the living room furniture into another room, and then back to its original spot on a whim in one afternoon.  I know that when using jumper cables, red is positive.  I know that mixing transmission fluid is a no-no.  I've learned that a 'Y' speed rating on tires is better on a sports car than an 'H' speed rating.  I've had the sex talk with teenage boys.  I've negotiated pricing on both a new car and a mortgage.  I am fully capable of taking care of myself, and knowing that I can gives me a great sense of pride. 

But....  there is nothing better than seeing Mr. Gotmyattention stand up and pull my chair out when I walk over to the table.  I love when he opens my car door or walks ahead of me in a crowded room.  He laughs when I work my afternoon meetings around a pedicure appointment.  Being a girl is so much more fun than the necessity of doing the guy stuff!

And I COULD pull a trigger if I had to.  I prefer a 5 shot, 38 special. 

In Bliss, Shugie


The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
- Amelia Earhart

No comments:

Post a Comment