I had a bucket list for 2011. I may have referred to it before as my attempt to be more purposefully spontaneous. I’m actually quite proud to say that I checked everything off of the Official 2011 Bucket List, except for the goal to use my passport (maybe next year). Though it wasn’t to Ireland as I’d hoped, I did do a lot of traveling. In my treks across the US, I met some interesting people, each of whom told me something that I needed to hear. Fate? I think not…
I met a woman who was en route to Clearwater, via a flight to Chicago. She was a retired flight attendant in her mid 60’s, and had an upbeat, chatty personality. Not the “would you please shut it” kind of chatty. She exuded a happiness that just drew me in. As we sat in the terminal she explained that she had been visiting her grown children and was flying home. She told me she couldn’t wait to get home to her sweetheart. That’s the word she used….sweetheart. It struck me as odd at first. Why didn’t she just say husband, as she’d already said she was married? Then I noticed the dreamy sappy look in her eyes when she spoke of him. She offered, “Do you know why we’re still so happy after all these years? We have fun together.” I noted that it was obviously working. Life Lessons #1-2: Choose to be happy; Relationships should be fun.
On a flight to Tennessee, I was upgraded to first class. How had I lived all these years without a hot towel, warm cashews and free drinks when I fly? My roomy seat was next to an elderly gentleman. Aw…he was probably helped onto the plane, I considered. I smiled in acknowledgment as I sat down, and then checked my email one last time before powering down my phone. My aisle-mate leaned over and said, “Can you still get on the internet? I’d like to check the closing price of silver and gold for the day.” I was clearly mistaken by my assumption of this man needing help with anything. We proceeded to talk for the entire 3 hour flight- about the economy! He shared his opinions and predictions for the demise of the economy. He coached me on buying and selling silver. He suggested a book about surviving the falling economy. I was entranced. He told me that he was flying from San Diego to back to Tennessee and had been away from his wife for two weeks. He shared that they had been on the Maury Povich Show last year because at 86 and 85 years of age, they loved to dance. I asked what kind of dancing and he smiled with his reply- swing dancing! He was giddy as we landed. Life Lessons #3-5: Plan for tomorrow; Stay informed; Dance.
Offspring #2 and I flew to Chicago for Thanksgiving. It was a wonderful time with family and difficult to leave them, as always. The return flight was late, and I was looking forward to the quiet. Just before take off, an older gentleman sat down next to me. We politely exchanged a few words- but I really wanted to just sit and feel sorry for myself for having to leave Offspring #1 and the grandgirl. The gentleman was talkative and I didn’t want to be rude, so we talked. Actually, I listened. He told me that he was Basque, and seemed shocked (irritated?) that I didn’t know what that meant. After the ensuing geography lesson, he shared that he immigrated to the US in the 1950’s and then married. He swept floors at a local plant and over time saved enough money to buy a house on some land. His wife loved their homestead and through the years as developers made offers to buy, she refused to sell. Though the story was heart warming, I was so very emotionally exhausted and just wanted to close my eyes. But instead I listened. He worked his way up at the plant, and retired 40 years later as General Manager. His wife died a few years ago, and the next time a developer wanted to buy his property, he sold it. For 5 million dollars. He then bought houses for all three of his children; funded his daughter’s PhD; and put all of his grandchildren through college. This man wasn’t bragging- he was thankful. He looked over at Offspring #2 and said, “You look like a smart guy. Let me give you some advice. Don’t judge your success in life by what others have. Judge it by what you can do for yourself. My grandfather told me this when I was a boy. Now you remember what the old man on the plane told you.” I was in awe. I wanted to take notes. Life Lessons #6-7: Work hard; Be thankful.
A friend and I were recently talking about the stresses of life. She challenged me with, “Why pray when you can worry?” Ouch. Life Lesson #8: Pray.
I was humbled by each of these interactions and took to heart all that I learned. Were the conversations with these strangers designed by fate? I prefer to believe they were divine. Maybe some day I will tell someone, “Remember what the old woman told you: There is no such thing as fate. Pray for wisdom and accept it when it’s put in front of you. It won’t come in the form of a lightening bolt. And…make time to visit Ireland.” :)
“For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11
No comments:
Post a Comment