When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Thanks*what a year*giving!

Thanksgiving is tomorrow.  We will all sit down to tables full of food, gorge ourselves like it's the last supper, and then scurry off to find a flat spot for the requisite Thanksgiving nap.  Even we vegetarians seem to find plenty to feast upon during the carb-fest!  Thanksgiving is the beginning of the frenetic shopping season that I swear each year I will avoid, yet still get sucked into.  It's the shotgun start to warm and fuzzy (albeit oft fabricated) Facebook posts about giving, and faith, perfect families and hot cocoa by the fireplace.

Before jumping into the scripted Thomas Kincade holiday-o-rama, I want to pause and bask in thankfulness... 

♥  I was able to see the grandgirls multiple times this year, and even surprised them with an unplanned trip in September.  I'm going again for a Christmas program, and they are coming to see me for Christmas!  I will wake up with my 5 favorite people on the planet in my house on Christmas morning! Bliss~

♥  Offspring #2 does not have an auto immune disease and is on the mend!  He's been handed a number of challenges this year, but he's persevered, nay excelled!

♥  Offspring #1 and his family are in the final stages of having a house built.  I can't wait to visit and stay in the 'Shugie room' (where I will be joined by 2 squirmy girls!!)

♥  My mom had a mastectomy early this year, and is cancer free.  Yay God!

♥  Friends!  You know who you are.  Shopping, pedis, and the ocean.  Catching up on phone/coffee chats.  St. Patrick's Day toasts.  Easter brunching.  The imperviosity of July 4th.  Visiting and subsequently getting kicked out of a castle.  Binge watching Netflix.  Sitting in the hot tub with wine and laughter.  Ever my trusted advisors!

♥  Broncos won the Super Bowl!

♥  Cubs won the World Series!

♥  The election is freakin' over!!

♥  My home.  My family.  Health.  Security.  Employment.  New friends.  My Diva!

I think about it all in sound bite moments throughout the year, but when I turn around and really deliberate, I know that I am blessed.  Often, the drama fills my mind and I forget the things for which, when I remember, I am thankful.  I challenge you to take 5 minutes and think back over your year.  Remember all of the the good stuff- and then take a stinkin' picture of it, and put it on Facebook so everyone thinks your life is perfect.  lol!

Pursuing Kaizen, and thankful in spite of the chaos! ~Shugie


Give thanks for all the opportunities that even our struggles bring.
Author Unknown



No comments:

Post a Comment