The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
~Madeleine L'Engle
Let me start by saying, age is not a big deal to me. I believe my siblings share this sentiment. We had an amazing example of a father who saw age as just a number. He acted young. He thought young. He enjoyed every day for exactly what it was- a blessing. When he left this earth at 83 years young, we all knew he had made the most of every single day God granted him, with no concern as to the number of years those days had accumulated on a calendar.
Recently that calendar landed on a 'landmark' year: my 50th. I truly hadn't given it a lot of thought until I started hearing things like, "What are you going to do for your birthday? You have to do something, 50 is a big one!" I'd smile and wonder, Why is it such a big deal? Then the next person would encourage... "Wow- 50... that's a biggie!" And again I felt underwhelmed by their interest in a number. Yep- this will be the 50th time I've had a birthday...so what??
After about the gajillianth person mentioned the pending anniversary of my birth, I started to think more about it. When my iPhone says the battery is at 50%, that means it is half gone. If you get a 50% on a test- you failed! My physician felt the need to remind me that it's time for a colonoscopy, and AARP happily acknowledged my milestone. Really????
But, I refused to get stuck there... I've done a damn good job of handling what life has thrown me, even when I wasn't sure I could. Fifty is the perfect age to recalibrate- get rid of baggage and move on with what is worth holding on to. What 50 has made me realize is: I am in charge of me!
For the first time in my life, I get to decide what I want before I take care of what everyone else wants. Massage on the way home from work just because; go to yoga class; visit the kids on a whim; stay up too late; buy that pair of shoes, and another for good measure; hit the incline because I can. My decision maker has become, "WHY NOT?"
So what did I do for the 'big' 5-0? I spent the weekend celebrating with sibs who flew out for the occasion, Offspring #2, and Longmire. We drank Miller Lite, geocached, drove to the top of Pike's Peak, laughed, slept too little and ate too much. Because that's exactly what I wanted to do!
The experiences that brought me to this place have prepared me well. I have everything I need for the second half- Bring it on!
Seeking Shalom and happy to be 50! ~Shugie
You make 50 sound glorious! Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy!
ReplyDeletehappy 50th! Love the video too.
ReplyDelete