When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

No Time for Mulligans

In a New York minute, everything can change
In a New York minute, it can get a little strange
-Don Henley

Recently on my drive home, I watched a cardboard box fall from atop an over packed vehicle onto the interstate.  Stuffed animals bounced out, covering the road and causing drivers to swerve this way and that.  I passed by as the driver of the vehicle pulled over, and I noticed a little face pressed to the window, mouth gaping.  I could imagine the little ones sadness that Winnie the Pooh was now splayed along I-25, lost forever from her clutches.  I hypothesized the dad's reaction as he looked back at the now destroyed animals: If only I had tied that down a little better…

Offspring #2 and I drove from our home in the forest, to the grocery store to pick up just a couple of items.  Thirty minutes later on the drive home, we saw the remnants of a horrific accident at the intersection we had just passed through a short time earlier.  One vehicle had rolled and landed in the trees on its side. Another was pointed into a nearby ditch, deployed airbags filling the space that once seated a driver.  The passengers had already been removed, and firefighters were trying to direct traffic and clean up the accident.  If we had left a few minutes later…

Leaving an appointment, the elevator stops on the oncology floor.  A couple gets onto the elevator with red eyes, tissues in hand.  His arm is around her, and she leans into him.  I imagine the normal day they have had, until hearing news that changed their day; their lives. If only....

Every day, unexpected things happen.  Some of those things are day changers: like a flat tire, or lost set of keys.  Some of them are life changers: like a divorce, or a terminal diagnosis.  In a New York minute everything we know; everything we hold dear; everything we have become comfortable with, can change.  Scripture tells us that we should not worry about tomorrow, but instead should fully participate in this day.  This is the day that the Lord has made.  Let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24  Finding the joy in difficult situations can feel nearly impossible.  As philosopherJoseph Campbell explains, We cannot cure the world of sorrows, but we can choose to live in joy. 

Choose to participate in things that bring joy; relationships that are fulfilling; conversations that end on a positive note.  Find joy in the sadness; grace in the irritating; patience in the frustrations.  In the blink of an eye, the trajectory of life can change, with no opportunity for a mulligan.  Make it count the first time.

With Faith, ~Shugie



3 comments:

  1. When I first saw the opening phrase of this blog, I thought of Don Henley. I bought this album of his years ago and truly loved it. Made me wonder where it had gone... The "Litigious One" probably has it.

    Then I saw you quoted part of the song, I laughed, as if "you get me"...or should that be the other way around?? I'm not sure.

    Yes, things change quickly. Your post was more about the tragedy that befalls on us mere humans, brings forward how weak our bodies can be, and those horrid moments that are forever burned into our memories, perhaps our very being.

    The story of the girl and poor old Winnie, and the cars dodging this way and that on the road reminded me of Iraq. Funny how a toy on I-25 can bring back the memories of threats in Iraq. The IEDs, the snipers, the trusted locals blowing themselves up with your friends...yes, in a New York minute. Life is by definition; unknown and always changing.

    I look for threats and those bad things that results in the tragedy that befalls on us mere humans in those horrid moments that have a part in defining us today.

    But, there's an upside. They make you stronger, ready to act as and when necessary to protect oneself and loved ones. My children when scared or hurt, I'm instantly super dad, defender and protector. My girlfriend who thought the door was closed but we found it open, again, those tactical experiences come into play. It was perhaps that moment, she knew, I mean REALLY knew, I'd keep her safe. I think she could have loved me for just that.

    So those bad New York minutes, affect us, change us. The challenge is to use the experience for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put. I think next week, you should write my blog.
    ~Shugie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said! I always enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete