When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Jesus Loves Me

Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand
With an equal opportunity, for all to sing, dance and clap their hands...
~Stevie Wonder, Sir Duke
 
Since returning from my trip, work has been hectic, which isn't uncommon after being away for a week.  Once my feet hit the floor in the morning, the day flies by with frustrated employees, conference calls, meetings, reports, homework, laundry, etc.  Yesterday, I planned on a late night in the office to catch up on a few things.  About 4:30 I received a phone call, indicating that an elderly woman that I often visit was declining in her health and may only have a few days left.  I looked at the clock, and decided I would try to finish up and then go see her a little later.  Or perhaps the next day.  I started back to my workload for just a moment before deciding that the work could wait, and I left to go visit the woman I call My Belfast Girl.
 
My Belfast Girl is a delight, and as her name would indicate she has an Irish lilt that melts my heart.  A staff member was tending to My Belfast Girl when I first arrived, so I stayed in the common room to chat with other patients. 
 
Mabel is 100 years old, and her body has surrendered to time.   She slumps to the right in her wheelchair as she naps throughout the day, and I've never heard her speak in all the times I've been at the facility.  I sat down next to Mabel and held her hand.  I asked if she had a good day.  No response.  I asked if she had enjoyed her dinner.  Silence.  I asked if she'd like me to sing to her.  Nothing.  I sang my standard You are My Sunshine.  Mabel was quiet.  I then started Jesus Loves Me.  This woman whose voice I've never heard, joined in and sang the entire song with me!  "I liked that," she giggled like a school girl.  I laughed and cheered and clapped like a parent hearing their child's first word!  She then said, "You start and I'll interject when I can."  Laughing almost to tears, I sang Jesus Loves Me again.  And again.  And again.  I sang until Mabel told me she was tired.  I ran my fingers through her hair until she closed her eyes in sleep.
 
I did see My Belfast Girl.  She warmed my heart when she remembered my name for the very first time!  We spoke of Irish stew and soda bread, her handsome husband, and castles.  She told me she loved me and asked me to dinner in her castle next week.  When I could see she was tiring, I told her I needed to leave.  You'll come back?, she asked.  I assured her that of course I would and I hugged her goodbye, hoping this goodbye wasn't the last.  Though I was told never to become emotionally attached, I love this woman.
 
I took it all in, vowing to do better at keeping life in perspective.  The things that were taking my time and energy earlier that day weren't nearly as important as my time with these wonderful women.  They have lived lifetimes with hurts and cares and celebrations that I will never know, and their needs now are simple.  I can listen, and talk, and sing, and yes, even have Irish stew at their castle home.

They have blessed me beyond measure.
 
In Bliss & Grace, Shugie

 
 


2 comments:

  1. Whomever said "not to become emotionally attached" I think was wrong. How wonderful that these people, at the end of a long and eventful life can finally again have someone, to have you.

    To bond with them to to let them bond with you. To leave this life with a long sought for friend. To not emotional bound would be uncaring, perhaps even inhumane.

    Bless you for this important work you do. The other stuff, well, definitely will be there tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words. Much appreciated. ~Shugie

      Delete